Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Roosters

Most Recent Posts sweet potato
Last post: avs0020
pruning salvia hotlips
Last post: avs0020
Patio table. Tagwex
Last post: tagwex
Hodgy The Hedgehog
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Roosters Reply with quote

We grew a few drills of roosters last year and got a reasonable crop. My lovely woman is and always has been a Golden Wonder woman (in many different ways!) and nothing else will do. However, she is now semi-converted to roosters and wants me to grow them again. This evening she stated that our roosters were really nice and more flavoursome than anything ever commercially grown bought in the shops. I haven't a clue but put it down to the ground which had grown nothing for 11 years and had gone wild and the non use of any additives, fertilisers or sprays. She also stated that they are really white as compared to ones that are more yellow in colour that she has seen before. Just wondering is this colour variation possible and what would cause it?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure its Rooster you bought and planted as they are often mistaken for the Desiree potato because its pretty similar in colour and appearance. Rooster have a deeper coloured red skin and has deeper set eyes or indentations on the skin. the Desiree was bred in Holland in 1962 and has yellow flesh, while the Rooster was bred in ireland.
I looked up both on the British variety data base and here is what it said,
http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Rooster
http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Desiree
Buyer beware.........
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very similar indeed. I 'bought' my seed from my cousin who is a commercial grower and he said they were roosters so anymore than that I cannot tell you. When I say bought what I actually mean is that he gave me his leftovers!
Thanks for the input though.

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've answered the question, You did not receive certified seed in a in a packet with all the info from a reputable supplier (Not saying your cousin is not reputable) If I gave you some seed potatoes and told you they were Rooster could you tell the difference between them and Desiree, Or even King Edward and Kestrel, I couldn't, So what are you going to do to convince the wife you know what your about, I would plant both the Rooster and Desiree and say nothing see if she notices.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is just devious.

Ahh but the seed is certified, the cous assured me of that, sure it would have to be seeing as that is his business. Having looked at the links that you posted up then I would consider myself to be not expert enough to tell a rooster and a disiree apart and I will take your word for it about the other two as well. Miss Golden Wonder is not the wife, I am living with a wan for the last few years, tried the marriage thing - didn't work out, but one thing I have found out that there is no codding this woman - far too clever and sharp for me!!!

The question is not answered as I wanted to know if there are colour variations to be had in the roosters. Maybe it is down to local conditions, maybe there are variations in the seed stock, maybe they change colour depending how long they are in storage or maybe we are just wrong in thinking it so. We were just wondering.

My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Roosters Reply with quote

You know when you buy something made from a natural material, say a leather couch, and it comes with a warning to the effect "this product is made from a natural material. Variations in colour, texture, etc., are a normal feature...".

To answer your question:
tagwex wrote:
Just wondering is this colour variation possible and what would cause it?

Yes it is possible and its caused by the natural environment.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man my potatoes, question answered, it's soil conditions then. I presumed you would be the one to answer in the end. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: