Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomatoe Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts Speedwell in Lawn?
Last post: tagwex
Portuguese laurel propagation
Last post: john32c
Think I planted potentially damaging trees near septic tank
Last post: tagwex
Tress require pruning
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesmerising indeed but I see only 16.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
yaut
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy there two more at the end of the truss at the stage of spent flowers, it's hard to see them in the photo. There're some 3-way trusses with 30+ flowers/little toms on them but it'll be some time until they're photo ready.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall take your word for it. If only mine were as advanced.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@YAUT,

Sorry for the delay, here is how my Gardner's Delight are doing, my Moneymaker are still VERY green.

I also attached a pic of my Yellow Courgettes which I am training up the back wall of the greenhouse to save space.

GardnersDelight3Jul.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  988.5 KB
 Viewed:  13565 Time(s)

GardnersDelight3Jul.jpg

YellowCourgette3Jul.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  994.84 KB
 Viewed:  13565 Time(s)

YellowCourgette3Jul.jpg

yaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Gardener's Delight toms are on the smaller side... I've never grown these but I've seen them recommended in several irish gardening books. I might try them next year for the early crop Wink
I'm very jealous of your courgettes, Lius. Mine are outside in the raised bed and are suffering from "Blossom End Rot" badly - little courgettes are rotting from the top end up and falling off Sad

quick update from my greenhouse. many plants are now hitting the roof and getting their heads chopped off for doing that:

Money maker is the most productive one but it's still long time to go until these are turning red:

Azoychka's fruit is swelling up slowly:

Montecarlo is absolutely useless and I have 4 plants of them. They're all leaves and the stems are as thick as my thumb. growing fruit isn't on their list of priorities that's for sure Sad

First of big cherries, wondering what's the taste gonna be like:

I had no room for one Silver Fir Tree plant in the greenhouse, so planted it outside. It's not doing so bad, and it's interesting to see how far will it get:

Cucumbers are nightmare - flowers, flowers and more flowers. I've got two cucumber fruit of each plant max!

Another sad looking individual: watermelon - weak plant but it has ONE fruit set, so fingers crossed. Out of 5 seedlings I had in spring only two survived but they're far from thriving so very little hope for the any kind of crop:
Lius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics YAUT,

I ate those two Gardners Delight (cherry) for lunch yesterday, they were VERY tasty.

On the Courgettes, I had the same problem with "Blossom End Rot" when I started growing the green variety first. Someone suggested to me to break off the flowers from the fruit, it seems to reduce the number of fruits that rot considerably. You must be careful to leave the flowers that are not connected to fruit as these have the pollen. You can also prop-up the fruit from the soil with bits of wood if your garden is very damp. I leave the flowers on until I see them starting to wilt as the are so nice and colourful in the garden/greenhouse. I only tried the yellow courgettes this year for the first time as someone said the have a better flavour and IMHO they do, although the fruits are much smaller.
yaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: courgettes rotting - I've read on internet to remove the flowers as soon as they start wilting and I did that but it didn't help. I've also read that it might due to lack of calcium in the soil or the soil being too acidic and plant cannot absorb the calcium because of that. I scattered some of garden lime around my courgettes and squashes and it seems to be helping.
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've got to taste nearly all of this year's cherry tomatoes now at this stage. I tried 3 new varieties, which are meant to be three of the best tasting:

Sungold
Rosada
Sweet Aperitif.

I have grown Gardener's Delight and Black Cherry from my saved seed from last year also.

I was looking forward to tasting all my new varieties this year and I was not disappointed. They are all superb.

Sweet Aperitif was my last to taste the other day and I have to say it was even nicer than I expected. Not that the others are not nice, obviously, but the Sweet Aperitif was just fantastic!

It then got me thinking how I will be able to save these seeds for next year, whereas I can't with the Sungold and Rosada as they are F1. So I decided to make my own list of nicest tomatoes, taking into account how prolific they crop and seed-saving ability (which I actually regard as really important)

1. Sweet Aperitif
2. Gardener's Delight
3. Black Cherry
4. Sungold F1
5. Rosada F1

I realise I may not have many who agree with me (I can't imagine many having Sungold at No4 on their lists) but because Gardeners Delight and Black Cherry crop so well, while still tasting delicious, and I won't have to buy seeds again next year I hold them up higher than Sungold and Rosada...
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you covering the flower buds before they open, then hand pollinating with a small brush? Otherwise the seeds won't breed true. I have some open pollinated wildlings growing, and am very excited about what I'll actually get!
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never even occurred to me that they might cross pollinate...How stupid of me! Thanks for pointing that out tippben.

I've been growing yellow tumbling tom seeds for the last few years, saving seeds in the same way and luckily enough I suppose they have always been good.

I did have a bizarre variety last year though, what I thought was meant to be a cordon plant ended up being a bush cherry except they were oval and pink in colour. I didn't have a clue where they came from...and now maybe I do!!

I don't know what to do now. Maybe I'll keep collecting seeds in the same way and grow them as a kind of lottery! Then add a new packet or two of seed every year to make sure I'm getting predictable results from some of them!!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you think new varieties come from? You might be on to a fortune!
Sneachta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rosada F1 tomato self seeded and is growing away happily against a SW facing wall. The tomatoes look the same as before, just not ripened yet, should I expect tasteless tomatoes?, I had thought F1 meant the seeds were no use for saving?

Sungold tomatoes outside are ripening up nicely now with a few to pick each day.
The early Latah plant has been giving tomatoes for a couple of weeks now (grown outside) and while not as sweet as the Sungold is a very tasty variety, will definitely grow a few more plants next year.
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I'd have known, tippben!!

I gave a friend of mine a few of those hanging pink cherry varieties last year and she loved them. They cropped really heavily all summer... When I asked did she want any plants this year, once she heard I didn't have any of the pink variety, she didn't want any!! ......I missed out on that fortune!!
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so many questions now about tomato pollination. It's been going through my head since last week. I blame you, tippben!! Wink

I'll only ask a few questions though that I hope won't be too bad to answer:

1. Are Sungold, and other F1 varieties, a mixture of 2 other known tomato varieties? Is this why their saved seed will not be a true Sungold?

2. Could the saved seed from an F1 variety produce a decent tomato plant or will it always be a bit of a dud?

3. Have I just been lucky with my saved seed or are you more than likely going to end up with the correct seed for the variety, as each flower has male and female parts needed?

Sorry about the list. I do actually have a lot more questions but I won't bombard them all into this post!! All answers are really appreciated...

I'm actually fairly excited to be learning more about tomatoes. I've been growing them with decent amount of success for few years but anything that improves my knowledge and potential produce is great....(I feel like such a tomato geek!!)
Lius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a post previously about saving tomato seeds and if I remember correctly the answer to all three questions is yes.

I did a taste test between my Gardener's Delight and Moneymaker yesterday and the G'sD won by a mile, the skin of the Moneymaker was every tough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: