Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomatoe Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts Speedwell in Lawn?
Last post: tagwex
Portuguese laurel propagation
Last post: john32c
Think I planted potentially damaging trees near septic tank
Last post: tagwex
Tress require pruning
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never remember what I planted, much less which tomatoes were the best, but luckily this summer I made a note in my diary.......and guess what, Margo, I have just checked and Gardener's Delight came out tops !
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to tasting my very first Sungold and Rosada this year. They are meant to come out on top of the taste tests every year...

From what I've grown so far the Gardener's Delight and Black Cherries are nicest.
And Garden Pearl and Tumbling Tom were fairly nice too but apparently they don't even compare to Sungold or Rosada...

Of the larger toms, the Plum and Tigerella were nicest for me. Though I haven't planted as many different varieties of the big toms so I'm not sure what the nicest of those are
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, I got fait results from Gardnerís Delight last year but I planted my greenhouse too tight with 4 verities and it was difficult to maintain them. So I think I will do only two varieties this year, Moneymaker & Gardnerís Delight but I will space the plants out better.

I find that the most difficult (and interesting) thing about gardening is deciding which vegetables to grow and then which varieties, there is such a huge choice and the advice is always conflicting. I suppose variations in weather, soil, watering, nutrition, etc. can give big variations in the final harvest. Put personal taste into the mix and opinions will be diverse on any variety of vegetable (or fruit).
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lius wrote:
...deciding which vegetables to grow and then which varieties...

I agree. I grew a lot of onions last year, three yellow varieties and one red variety. They were huge and stored really well. However, I don't think I'll be growing yellow onions again. They really don't taste noticeably better than those in the green grocers. It's such a versatile vegetable that to be anywhere near self-sufficient I would need to plant my entire vegetable garden with them alone. On the financial side, yellow onions are very inexpensive.
However, the red onions are a different story. So much sweeter when home grown and none of that nasally sting. Those I'll probably grow again this year, either 'Red Baron' or 'Electric'.
yaut
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew German Orange Strawberry last two years and I would grow them again but the plants themselves are very vigorous and require a lot of room in the greenhouse. But the fruits are delicious!

This year I've picked 4 varieties based on the size of the bush. I know nothing about these so it'll be interesting to see how it goes and how they'll taste like.
Azoychka:

Delicious:

Montecarlo:

Silver fir tree:

I've also picked some seeds out of store bought tomatoes, mostly cherry varieties. Is it worth bothering with those?
Wes
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My moneymakers are due to go into the next size pot, first transplant.

I'm also trying cherry cascade for hanging baskets. It was late last year before I had the idea, so looking forward to them this year. Prolific from what I've read.
13 out of 14 seeds have germinated, which is good. Unsure as to how many plants per basket, does anyone know?
Ideally I'd like to have 3 or 4 baskets, to give to family.
yaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year has been a disaster for my tomatoes... I only found out after sowing that paper cups are no no for tomato seedlings. I sowed couple of seeds into separate cups with an idea to remove the weaker seedling if both seeds germinate and then transplant the stronger ones into bigger containers together with those cups.

What happened was that after germination the little plants just wouldn't grow. They've stalled at the first true leaf stage and been sitting like that since. Here's some pics to illustrate:

a week later:

It's the same kind of tomato. I had to re-sow this one because only two seedlings showed up the first time. The ones on the left were sowed on 18th of march, and the right one 8th of march. I've removed the paper cups and replanted into bigger plastic containers but it's not helping Crying or Very sad
I'll have to buy tomato seedlings this year Sad Sad These two strong plants are "Delicious" variety and I have some okay-ish plants grown from the seed I picked from store bought tomatoes. The rest I wanted to grow this year will have to wait till next year...
Margaritaville

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to buy seedlings myself this year for the first time.Seeing as I dont have a greenhouse what varieties would people suggest have the best chance of ripening in our Irish 'summer' once planted outside?I'm going to plant them out near a sunny wall.Weather forecast doesnt show much warmth improvement in the next month anyway.
Rowdy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried eggshell & banana skin as a slow release food for tomato plants? I found this youtube clip and decided to give it a go - I tried it on some of my gardners delights when planting on earlier this week, left some without for comparisson so I'll update on progress later in the Summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6uc5_vRT8

Lius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went ahead with Moneymaker and Gardeners Delight this year.

I put them into the greenhouse last week, fingers crossed with the frost.

2014 TOMS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  999.49 KB
 Viewed:  13399 Time(s)

2014 TOMS.jpg

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give that a try Rowdy, looks interesting and quite simple to do. Unfortunately I don't think he explained how much to use per plant but I suppose that depends on the condition of the soil to begin with but then again something is better than nothing.
I only have some yellow sunbursts sowed yet, not even 4cms high so far but the greenhouse will be ready next week and then it will be all systems go. Buy in some red tomato plants, peppers for the curries and a few cucumbers. Can't wait.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
yaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's everybody's tomatoes doing? Mine are very slow this year. They are all leaves at this stage and only started flowering quite recently:

Cherry tomatoes grown from seeds picked from store bought ones are slightly ahead with one of them doing particularly well:

That's the small type cherry toms you get in containers for 89cents or so.
Bigger cherry toms that usually sold on wines are setting the fruit too but their trusses are very spaced out - fruits are unusually far from each other :
Lius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yaut,

I think your tom`s are at not far behind mine, should be eating in a few weeks.

I have topped off a couple of plants at 4 trusses to try and get some early fruit, worth considering if you have enough plants.

Lius.
yaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want pictures, Lius! Remember: gardening is very visual Very Happy

My greenhouse 12 days later:

*** more leaves! some stems are as thick as my thumb but trusses are very small 5-8 toms each, very disappointing Crying or Very sad

Azoychka flowering:

and setting the fuit, 6 on the truss Evil or Very Mad

Money Maker is the most promising one, I guess that's because the seedling was store bought:

Silver Fir Tree is a tiny plant but it's flowering well and has few fruit set. It's one of the surviving paper cup victims:

And to finish on the high note - small cherries just started ripening:

18 little toms on the truss! have to collect seeds from this one.
Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last pic is mesmerising! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: