Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Seed Savers in trouble!

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Seed Savers in trouble! Reply with quote

Times are hard, I know, but give a little something if you can afford to. http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0102/495610-seed-saver/
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up their website to see what do they want 250k for and it says.
We need a total of 250,000 to ensure our survival. The money will be used as follows
50,000 will be used to buy raw materials like rootstocks, pots, compost, tools, shop supplies so that we can grow our own sales and improve our future sustainability by making our seeds and trees available to YOU.
50,000 will be used to finish our Seed Bank and ensure we make full use of this wonderful new building, the only one of its kind in Ireland
100,000 will be used to buy our land outright so that we are not at the mercy of higher interest charges.
50,000 will be held as a cash reserve so that we can manage our cashflow during the year to allow for the seasonality of our sales.
Whatever we raise we will spend in the order outlined above so that if for example we only raise 100,000 of our goal we will first secure our raw material for future years and complete our Seed Bank.
1. If I had 50k to set up shop sure id be well on the way to be self sufficient and making a living.
2. 50k for seed bank.
3. 100k for land and who will own this land we the public or some private person who can speculate on it in the future when prices go up.
4, 50k for cash reserve.???
A lot of dosh for something set up by an individual if I had spare cash there are better things to donate too, dont think ill starve if I cant get heirloom brussel sprouts and cabbages. Convince me its worth the money.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The ISSA has been in existence for a number of years, ie their shop was set up a number of years ago. Assuming you are an individual rather than a charity, you're comparing oranges with apples here (pun intended).
2. Have you seen it? Or are you simply speculating based on ignorance? I think the seed bank is a very impressive though simple facility.
3. The ISSA will own it. Currenlty the land is mortgaged; ie the bank owns it but so long as they keep up their payments the ISSA will own it, in time.
4. This sounds like good business practise to me. In Ireland, during the "Celtic Tiger" years a lot of charities and businesses were kept afloat on credit but had no cash reserves. Then when trouble struck they faltered.
tippben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50k cash reserve doesn't sound like a huge amount to me. It covers three staff on a very low wage for a year, or two professional staff for one year.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving plant/food diversity should be government-supported, not left to private individuals. And 250,000 is a measly sum by public pay standards...it would barely pay for some politician's "pension"....though why it's called a pension beats me, when they don't have to wait till they are 66 to be lavishly funded by the taxpayer.......
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrrrrr. Politicians pensions!!!
Grrrrrrr. Salary top-ups!!! I'd better stop, before I rupture a tuber! And I really did think a 'top-up' was stuff you added to your planters to avoid the compost getting depleted!

But seriously, ISSA is a very worthwhile organisation, responsible, amongst many things, for locating, identifying and preserving uniquely Irish varieties of apple . So now the genetic material from these plants is available for the development of new varieties, in addition to its own inherent qualities. In countries where people care about such matters, much work of this kind is supported by the state, as it benefits the state in the long term.

In maintaining a seed bank, ISSA helps to ensure that patent-free seed is available, too. Keeping our genetic heritage out of the grasping hands of multinationals like Monsanto has to be worth doing.

ISSA operates on a shoestring, with much help from volunteers. It is well worth supporting, if you can spare a few bob.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you blame monsanto for all that is wrong with food production
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Saving plant/food diversity should be government-supported, not left to private individuals.

this is ireland all over - NGOs left to do things which the government should be handling themselves. a colleague's wife was let go from an organisation which existed because the HSE do not do something the HSE should be doing - but their grant was cut from 400k to 50k in the space of two years.
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
A lot of dosh for something set up by an individual if I had spare cash there are better things to donate too

You seem to be one of these individuals that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Gautama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Saving plant/food diversity should be government-supported, not left to private individuals. And 250,000 is a measly sum by public pay standards...it would barely pay for some politician's "pension"....though why it's called a pension beats me, when they don't have to wait till they are 66 to be lavishly funded by the taxpayer.......

We live in a democracy. In repeated elections approximately 40% of the electorate voted of a certain political party, giving them carte blanche to do as they pleased, line their own pockets, and create the biggest crisis in the history of the state. Though I am not defending former Taoisigh Ahern and Cowen receiving their 150,000 annual pensions, those that voted for them and their parties are directly responsible. The is a fact of life in this democracy. Rant over.
Yes, I agree that 250,000 is actually a small sum in the greater scheme of things. Especially for such an organisation, which has been established for a couple of decades and has been successful.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage, I am not specifically blaming Monsanto. It simply acts like any other multinational - it's shareholders' interests take precedence over any other consideration and the long-term effects of its activities are of no account.
Have a look at www.no-patents-on-seeds.com for useful discussions on this and related topics.
Personally, I believe it would be daft to leave the future of our planet's biodiversity to the dictates of commercial interests.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservation International have entered into a partnership with Monsanto where they believe by working together, they will encourage positive changes for biodiversity and natural habitats by Preventing illegal deforestation, Preventing the local extinction of species and Encouraging compliance with legislation in the agriculture.
How do you propose we feed 6billion people, with food grown from heritage seed
I dont think so, all this talk is lovely from people who think Im all right Jack pull up the ladder, In large parts of the world there is food shortages even in a country as rich as America many have to resort to food stamps to feed themselves.
crop failures and bad weather will lead to shortages this year in America, Ukraine and China.
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't presume to try to feed the world!

I am suggesting that it is probably a bad idea to leave our genetic heritage in the hands of people whose main motivation is profit. Well supported NGOs are much more likely, in my mind, to act disinterestedly, in the name of the common good.

I'm cynical enough to suspect "greenwashing" 'when I hear of schemes such as the one you describe. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong of course.
tippben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo! I opened an entire worm farm here didn't I? As I understand it, a genetic bank allows the possibility of developing industrial scale, or small scale crops, as determined by the needs of communities. Monoculture has inherent problems, and we will need different varieties to choose from as environmental conditions change. Of course, a "Tipperary Turnip" is not going to feed the world, BUT it might have a gene that helps it stand frost better, or cope with heat without bolting. That would make it useful. We can always breed it with other varieties to get the best of both worlds. If we lose these varieties, we'll end up playing poker with no queens, no threes, and only three sixes.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed we could GM it to improve it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: