Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Young Privet Hedge needing help

Most Recent Posts BBQ
Last post: Sue Deacon
Looking for plant ID
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Brendankearns
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Young Privet Hedge needing help Reply with quote

Hi,

I planted a young bare root privet hedge 2 years ago and whilst it is still alive it's not really as big and bushy as i thought it would be after 2 years. I do feed it in spring and summer but still it's not knitted together. Also with being on an exposed site the leaves have dropped off this year from the smaller plants which I read is normal until the hedge is more estblished. Weeds are also competing with the hedge - is this bad and should i be wedding between the plants? Also the soil might not be the greatest but privet shouldn't need a good soil as it's a hrady plant. Does anyone have any tips that i can use to help the hedge get better estblished?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Brendan
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any young hedge is going to struggle if it has to compete with hungry grasses for water, nutrients and light. Do your best to remove ALL weeds from the base of the hedge - aim to leave 300mm clear on each side of the stems. Then cover the weed free ground with polythene and mulch with gravel to hold the plastic in place. It might be worth applying a slow acting fertiliser such as bone meal before laying down the plastic.
Next season you should see much improved growth. Don't be afraid to cut the hedge quite short. Done early, this should ensure close, thick growth from the base.
Eventually, the gravel mulch will be invisible beneath a thick, thriving hedge!
Brendankearns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Good Guy.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privet is semi-evergreen, meaning that it will always have leaves, but will always lose some each winter. If it isn't thriving after two years, maybe it was planted too deep? The root collar (the place where the main stem turns into the first roots) should be at the soil surface. If deeper, the plant will exhibit the symptoms you describe, due to root suffocation. If that's the case, lift and replant them now. If not, follow the good advice given by my fellows.
Brendankearns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help, it's much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: