Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Hardy geraniums from root cuttings

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Cherrysparkle
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Hardy geraniums from root cuttings Reply with quote

I bought Geranium Rozanne and want to propagate some from root cuttings as they're so expensive.

So google has told me that I need to dig them up while dormant, and take the cuttings from the thickest roots.

Should I wait a bit longer for winter to really set in before I get started, or would now be ok?

Thanks..

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait until Spring then divide it or take basal cuttings and grow on in pots.
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some as plug plants. They have grown well and are ready to plant out. A few of them have flowered and I must say I'm delighted with the flowers. I like the look of Greengage's advice.
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some as plug plants. They have grown well and are ready to plant out. A few of them have flowered and I must say I'm delighted with the flowers. I like the look of Greengage's advice.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after they flower in the spring/summer cut them back hard and they will flower again also helps to keep them in check, If you are going to collect seed you have to keep an eye on them and collect when ready otherwise it will fire off the seed and you will be left with nothing.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we sure we are talking about the same type of geranium? Rozanne is a herbaceous type flowering in mid to late Summer into Autumn, Winter hardy but stems still visible at present. Well worth a place in any garden. There is a royalty on the plants hence the expense.
michael brenock retired

Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royalty is only a problem if you are selling them to collect seed and propagate for your own use is not a problem
Cherrysparkle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone thanks for the replies - have been sick for the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to get out in the garden!

Greengage I think Rosanne is a sterile hybrid, so not sure if it would come true from seed? I am going to leave it until spring and then lift and divide. I have a geranium Mavis Simpson that I need to move as the place it's in turns into an actual pond in winter so will experiment with root cuttings too and see what happens.

Thanks again - weather is crazy, when I was rummaging around today I saw that my snow drops and daffodils have started to come up - hope we don't have a terrible January or they might not make it!

Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherrysparkle, I don't think you need to worry about your daffs and snowdrops. Mine show themselves about now every year and the daffs are often 100 mm high by Christmas - they have never suffered, even in the very harsh winters of a couple of years ago. Plants such as these seem to have some kind of 'antifreeze' mechanism. I'd love to know how it works. Perhaps one of our botanically trained contributors would explain?
In the past, when I have lost plants during winter, it has almost always been due to poor drainage. My bay tree, escallonia hedge and a tamarisk have survived the worst (with some damage) and are all in good drainage, but I have lost phormiums and hebes and others that were not so well located.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: