Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

bleeding canker of horse chestnut trees

Most Recent Posts How to store seeds??
Last post: tagwex
Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: Blowin
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
frengers80
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: bleeding canker of horse chestnut trees Reply with quote

hi,just wondering if anyone has any advise on how to treat this disease,have already lost a number of large specimen trees and some younger trees Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't. It's a soil borne fungal pathogen. Remove all infected material, as quickly as possible, and burn it. Don't replant any more Aesculus species. http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/infd-6kybgv
frengers80

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: bleeding canker Reply with quote

Hi,I know they done some trials in the park last year with some success and was wondering if there was any advance on this.I have one tree at about 20+m which will have a lot of burning in it!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re trials, they did some spraying trees with garlic spray and there was talk of it arresting the disease also b3
Barcham trees were injecting the trees with Asprin to stimulate their defence mechanism but as trees transpire the jury is still out, All Chestnut trees originate from Greece ans all have the same DNA so what kills one kills all.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very depressing all this is....first elms were wiped out......now ash trees are threatened.....and horse chestnuts........and there's something attacking larches too.
I didn't realise horse chestnuts originated in Greece....maybe that's where the answer lies then, if they can find healthy trees there......
tippben

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive, it is depressing. However, Elms haven't been wiped out. They are still there, developing resistance through natural selection. They generally live for about 15 years. A similar thing happened to them about 5000 years ago, if my memory serves me correctly. Although globalization has made disease transmission worse, we can now analyze genomes, which makes responses much more possible and practical. Pandemic disease outbreaks are normal. It's how nature works.
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you were around 5000 years ago, Tippben? Golly! No wonder you're a native hedgerow keeper!
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Tippben, nature has great powers of adaptation/regeneration....over very long periods though. But I wonder will the Gaia theory ever prove to be correct......because there is onevery destructive species on earth that needs dramatic culling and there seems to be no sign of that happening !
tippben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha Good Guy! Well done! Pollen records mate. Around 5000 years ago elm pollen suddenly stopped being deposited, then very gradually became present again. Courtesy of Oliver Rackham.
frengers80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: bleeding canker of horse chestnut trees Reply with quote

some pics
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being facetious, Tippben! A bit like the response to my "Sussex thugs" typo of months ago. But seriously, it is good to know where the info comes from. It was a revelation to me, when I first read Frank Mitchell's "Reading the Irish Landscape" that pollen fossils could reveal so much about the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: