Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

ibc tanks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Most Recent Posts New herbaceous border
Last post: TMAK
Hello to all
Last post: Jim wolohan
Wanted moderator or admin appply to............
Last post: Greengage
Roll on 2019
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garden Shop wrote:
Hi Guys

Here is one of our ICB tanks fitted to a trailer & pump

Neat job.

AJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
I browsed back through the earlier posts in this thread and spotted the discussion on stagnant water getting discoloured. I also recall another thread in the veg/allotments section regretting the number of worms our soils contain and I'm wondering whether there might be an actual benefit from using water containing algae - because that's what we're really talking about.

He's since gone bust through overstretching himself but there was a chap in S Wales who successfully bred ragworms for anglers' bait using this principle. The process he used was to rig up a large bank of clear plastic pipes, all linked, that were filled with ordinary sea water. They were arranged in an east-west direction to absorb most sunlight and quickly became discoloured (with algae).

His worms were bred in beds of, I think, 'sea peat', although that's not too important, but, once the water in the pipes was discoloured enough, he'd let the lot drain into the worm beds to provide what is actually natural food for the worms. He'd then refill the pipes and the process would start all over again until the worms were big enough to sell.

Now, as a scientist I'd make a good bus driver, but I'm wondering whether those with that sort of knowledge would be able to tell us if our garden earthworms might benefit from the use of algae affected water?

Blowin,
Lovely meeting you today, and enjoyed our chat. The barrels are perfect for what I want. Will keep an eye out for when I'm in Clon, although I have a feeling you may see me before I see you, will be downsizing the wheels shortly so keep an eye out for the pink cow.
Best

Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"To calculate what a pump will have to do we'll use Tagwex's 0.5in hose, multiply by the old favourite 3.14159 to give an area of 1.57 sq ins. Multiply that by 12 and we get 18.85 cu ins per foot. Multiply by 30 (10 yds) to give 565 cu ins and an on line conversion site reveals the weight of that amount of water is around 20lbs."

Would I be right in assuming that the solar pump identified by Keeks, earlier, and which is stated to deliver 13psi would be insufficient to do the work calculated above?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is correct or not but I seem to remember someone telling me a few years ago that the black tanks are better in that they don't let the sunlight through and consequently you get no algae.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, Tagwex, but what my earlier post was designed to establish was whether algae are indeed harmful if applied to soil. Instinctively, we probably all recoil from 'dirty' water (unless we intentionally add something to it) and it's possible that a strong algae presence could block taps but the worm farmer obviously discovered something and it MAY be that a similar benefit can be obtained from a fresh water equivalent. Perhaps Verge knows a scientist who can advise us?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: