Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

ibc tanks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Most Recent Posts New herbaceous border
Last post: TMAK
Hello to all
Last post: Jim wolohan
Wanted moderator or admin appply to............
Last post: Greengage
Roll on 2019
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
One word of caution - one cubic yard of water = one ton!

Correction, one cubic yard weighs 0.763 tonne (1709lbs) and one cubic meter weighs 1 tonne exactly (2240lbs).

There are attachments to a power drill that connect to a 1/2" hose, you may check what head of water they can cope with, if it works it is a very simple way of moving water around. Would you all not consider just buying a pond pump and drop it into the tank, i believe they are fairly cheap.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a thought! Good one, Keeks.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeks???

AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be thinking it wouldn't take too much of a pump to pump water via a garden hose from a collection tank (water butt) at the bottom of a down pipe (ie house level) up a gradient of 4 meters to an ibc tank or similar, if you are worried about electricity, go for 12 volt, a trickle charger will keep a car battery topped up. If your IBC tank is high enough, gravity feed back down your garden should work fine. I would think a full IBC tank pushing, 1000ltrs, thru the opening at the bottom of the tank will create good pressure. this is something I must get round to sorting out myself in the next couple of weeks, so will let you know how it works out.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Keeks???

To Peek...Peep...A quick or Furtive look...A peep..
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ - On the subject of 'not too much of a pump', I know water can be funny stuff in reality.

To calculate what a pump will have to do we'll use Tagwex's 0.5in hose, multiply by the old favourite 3.14159 to give an area of 1.57 sq ins. Multiply that by 12 and we get 18.85 cu ins per foot. Multiply by 30 (10 yds) to give 565 cu ins and an on line conversion site reveals the weight of that amount of water is around 20lbs.

Discounting the friction element, even when the tank at the bottom is brim full you'll still need a pump that will push (lift) that amount of weight uphill, in the case quoted earlier, something like 10ft.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading back through the thread I have just realised what 'keeks' is, a fellow poster! I thought good guy was complementing me on my idea as his post was directly after mine with a pond pump suggestion.

AJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
AJ - On the subject of 'not too much of a pump', I know water can be funny stuff in reality.

To calculate what a pump will have to do we'll use Tagwex's 0.5in hose, multiply by the old favourite 3.14159 to give an area of 1.57 sq ins. Multiply that by 12 and we get 18.85 cu ins per foot. Multiply by 30 (10 yds) to give 565 cu ins and an on line conversion site reveals the weight of that amount of water is around 20lbs.

Discounting the friction element, even when the tank at the bottom is brim full you'll still need a pump that will push (lift) that amount of weight uphill, in the case quoted earlier, something like 10ft.

Going to buy a secondhand fire engine Laughing problem solved.

tippben

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need two IBC tanks. I live in Nenagh, Tipperary, and we are both reliant on illness benefit of 250 a week. Any ideas on where to get some very cheap/free/swap? Need to beat those cursed water charges next summer!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too far for you to come tippben. But they sell around here for 50, at least it is a guideline price.

Blowin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tippben - If your heart is set on those big tanks, so be it, but, if you've somewhere where you could set up a row of 200 litre barrels and connect them all together, I managed to source five the other day @ 5 each locally. If you were to put a tap at the bottom of each and link them together at the tops, as soon as the first is full it will start filling the second and so on. If you then draw water starting at the furthest one, as soon as it runs dry you go to the next but you'd always be aware how much you've got to play with.

Dairy farmers have a foam in them for sterilising cows' teats after milking so, if you make friends with a local farmer, the supply might be limitless. That's where mine came from and there were some left after I'd had my five.

ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: ibc Reply with quote

hi tippben.i have a old clean ibc tank.20e for it .you will have to collect.i live in south tipp . jack
Blowin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed back through the earlier posts in this thread and spotted the discussion on stagnant water getting discoloured. I also recall another thread in the veg/allotments section regretting the number of worms our soils contain and I'm wondering whether there might be an actual benefit from using water containing algae - because that's what we're really talking about.

He's since gone bust through overstretching himself but there was a chap in S Wales who successfully bred ragworms for anglers' bait using this principle. The process he used was to rig up a large bank of clear plastic pipes, all linked, that were filled with ordinary sea water. They were arranged in an east-west direction to absorb most sunlight and quickly became discoloured (with algae).

His worms were bred in beds of, I think, 'sea peat', although that's not too important, but, once the water in the pipes was discoloured enough, he'd let the lot drain into the worm beds to provide what is actually natural food for the worms. He'd then refill the pipes and the process would start all over again until the worms were big enough to sell.

Now, as a scientist I'd make a good bus driver, but I'm wondering whether those with that sort of knowledge would be able to tell us if our garden earthworms might benefit from the use of algae affected water?

The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Here is one of our ICB tanks fitted to a trailer & pump

photo 1 copy.jpg
 Description:
ICB Tank & Trailer
 Filesize:  90.36 KB
 Viewed:  12002 Time(s)

photo 1 copy.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: