Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Veg Garden

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
JK Mayo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: New Veg Garden Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Planning to start our first veg patch.
In the next couple of weeks we are going to construct three raised beds, 8'x4' each.
In one bed we will probably grow strawberries - should we just leave it with strawberries or can you suggest something else to grow along side.

In the other two beds we are open to ideas, but will be planting carrots, parnsips, peas and salad leaves, e.g. lettuce, swish chard, etc... We will probably also grow onions and spring onions.

So any suggestions on how to plan out the beds, group the veg etc...

We would love to start a full crop rotation, but really want to start off small and see how we go.

Thanks for any advice
JK

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people will disagree, but is crop rotation a bit of a waste in a small garden, If you have an acre of say onions and potatoes you will have a large build up of pests so it would be advisable to rotate your crops, but if you only have a few raised beds and you replant every year you will not have a build up of pests so it is a waste of time. digging the soil over in winter will expose most pests to birds and the weather.
Potatoes are great for clearing ground, and your suggestions sound good personally i found the swish chard a waste although it did look colourful, you will also need to protect the strawberries from birds and snails. good luck with the project.
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same. My garden is pretty small but is chock a block with veggies and fruit. Rotation is proving to be a right pain in the back side.

Normally I dig over the beds and cover with black sheeting to stop weeds coming up during mild spells in the coming months.
Maybe i'd be better off just giving them an occasional turn over the winter and just plant as i'd like to within reason? - at least something different in the soil each year. For example I was thinking of planting garlic in this years carrot area and vice versa next year?
JK Mayo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Veg bed Plans Reply with quote

Thanks Folks - nice to see that it is possible to make things easy.

Know anywhere that I get get suggested planting layouts for the beds?

What else could I plant in the bed with the strawberries?

Thanks
JK

Qzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say leave the strawberries on their own and well enough spaced out, they really do bulk up over the year and you want to be able to get to the fruit. They will also send runners everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: