Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

lavender care and fall trim

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: lavender care and fall trim Reply with quote

In the lavender patch today cutting the flowers down to a tidy bunch and bringing in the stems indoors for drying. I think the ones for sale in stores must have the florets painted purple because mine are greying out. It's about the only thing left that gives the bees some food so hate to cut it as not quite spent yet. Who knows though when the weather will turn.

Any ideas about where I might touch up with color and where would I buy it? Florists?

Uses in Fall
Apparently, lavender has to be chopped back to the wood at this time of year as it's a woody shrub and I want to shape it nicely. There are so many seeds that what I don't give away after filling all my own use, will put into attic for drying and seeds in the spring. Am making sachets for drawers. Anyone know who sells those tiny packets with a drawstring or make my own?

Augusta flora is the kind I have but want to go for the Spanish type. Will it do ok or is it touchy?[/b]
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, July is the time to cut your lavender when it is at its best colour.It should be cut on a dry and sunny day so mildew does not become a problem while drying
You can still leave some for the bees but pick the biggest and best for drying, cutting back now but not into the woody stems.
3 to 4 years are the best for lavender plants then replace.
You can buy those little sachets on ebay in bulk, and have a look in discount stores I have seen them for sale there also for wedding favours!
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wrong. The fall or early spring is best time
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always assumed that if I wanted to cut lavender to use in sachets etc, I would have to do that when it is frshly blooming, full of colour and perfume ( ie around July )....not when it has gone over, member11809. If you pick it in the autumn, most of the perfume has gone.
However if you are talking about pruning ( another topic entirely ) then obviously you prune in autumn or spring....I prefer to prune in the autumn.
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
I have always assumed that if I wanted to cut lavender to use in sachets etc, I would have to do that when it is frshly blooming, full of colour and perfume ( ie around July )....not when it has gone over, member11809. If you pick it in the autumn, most of the perfume has gone.
However if you are talking about pruning ( another topic entirely ) then obviously you prune in autumn or spring....I prefer to prune in the autumn.
My apologies I read it wrong thought OP meant pruning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: