Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Overgrown fig tree problem

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
raynoble
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Overgrown fig tree problem Reply with quote

We have had a fig tree growing in our polytunnel for about 4 yrs. It has matured to the point that it is now about 8 ft tall and also has an enormous amount of branches. It has never been pruned. Ideally I would like to transplant it outside as it has taken over and is hiding the sun from smaller plants as well as taking up too much space. I have searched the internet and discovered that I could easily kill it by moving it. The alternative is to prune it drastically as we would really like to keep it. It produces lots of figs for us. Does anyone have any advice please on either how to move it successfully or alternatively prune it right down without causing it too much stress? I am an amateur when it comes to pruning.Thank you.

Ray
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you prune it hard, it will produce loads of vegetative growth, and no figs. It will end up much bigger than it is now, to no purpose. Either prune selectively (one third of the canopy, always a clean cut, just above a leaf node) or bite the bullet and move it. I'd move it unless you have a 30' high polytunnel. The alternative option is to move it, hope for the best, and plant a new one, but prune one third of the stems each year. Figs like poor soil conditions, and especially a confined root system, so make a box out of paving slabs (ideally 1mx1m) if you decide to move it.
raynoble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your advice.I think a move outside will be the best option
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: