Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Human Urine Fertilizer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Are you a forum moderator?
Last post: vulkan
2 plants to ID
Last post: Silver surfer
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Margo
Introduction
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Human Urine Fertilizer Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just spotted a post on the introduction forum and did a bit of Googleing about the use of diluted human urine as fertilizer. I have heard of this before and apparently it is as effective as any agricultural fertilizer and Im thinking of giving it a try.

So, how many of you guys are using it on your vegetables on a regular basis and what kind of results are you getting? What ratio are you diluting it to (1:10?) and how often are you applying it (once/week)?

Please PM me with info if you are embarssed to admit to using it.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bucket in the shed. It gets emptied into the compost bin daily. It's brilliant for compost, but I've only ever tried applying it directly to plants by the roadside, and never went back to assess the results. My lovely wife is reluctant to contribute to the bucket...
Brendankearns
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, very good Tippben!!
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this thread goes on for too long, people are going to get pissed-off.
You may remember I tried soaking parsley seeds in urine to see if it speeded up germination. Result inconclusive!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh those were the days, coming to Ireland on summer holidays to see the grandparents waaaaaay back in the day, only cold water, commodes semi-filled with bleach, a po under the bed or else the great outdoors! Never asked where they threw it all away to. But the upside was great tasting rashers, HB choc ices, Marietta biscuits with a dollop of Kerrygold butter and a sneaky half pint bottle of Guinness from my grand dads six pack.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much if they used their waste on the Rashers-Marietta-HB-Guinness no matter how good they tasted...

Last edited by Geranimojess on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaaaaaysus I hope not!

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still...I bet its put the Seeds of doubt in your mind...hasn't it... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation ...your delicious HB and Biscuit will never taste quite the same again... Crying or Very sad
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam you to hell and back again Geranimojess!!!!

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notwithstanding the inevitable humour, I've always assumed that 'urea', in the list of ingredients in a fertiliser, is just that - or more likely animal than human.

When we had a large dog, the patch of lawn where he regularly peed was always more lush than the rest of it but has more or less returned to normal since we lost him.

I can't believe that the human sort is materially different, although using solid manure can spread salmonella, I believe?

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a civil engineer getting rid of human waste is a part of the job so we need to know quite a bit about it, especially when these relatively new ideas of licences to discharge to rivers, reed and willow beds etc. come into play. It transpires that of all the animals waste, humans is by far the most dangerous and difficult to treat down to acceptable levels to release back into the ground and water table due to all the additives, preservatives and E numbers that we ingest makes ours toxic and harmful. So there is a lot more than salmonella out there to worry about.

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if you ever watched Bear Grylls on TV...he is an ex commando who specializes in survival Techniques and in one Episode actually drank his own while crossing a Desert after straining it through one of his Stockings...not the nicest thing to do but when you've run out of options...
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can beat that. It Is a fact that soldiers deep undercover behind enemy lines on covert operations can leave no trace of themselves anywhere for fear of being caught. So, they collect all excrement, put it all into one big pot and then they divide it up and eat it all again. Apparently, what is excreted is still quite high in nutrients and therefore still nutritious to the soldiers. Disgusting but nutritious. Also handy when the food runs out. It is similar to giving someone the kiss of life, in that what is exhaled from the lungs still has enough oxygen in it to revive someone and the givers lungs have not taken out all the oxygen.

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must get a Dog-Tag printed for my Wrist....NO MOUTH TO MOUTH IF I STOP BREATHING.... Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK enough of that now, can we get back to the rashers, marietta, HB & Guinness again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: