Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

What tomatoes would you grow again next year?

Most Recent Posts Hello
Last post: ferank2
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Greengage
Quiet times
Oak leaf blighted??

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: What tomatoes would you grow again next year? Reply with quote

This year I have been growing four different varieties of tomatoes and am absolutely drowned in them Very Happy , next year i think I'll focus on less but more tasty varieties.

Here is my personal flavour rankings, I'd love to hear any others people here may have :-

In order of flavour, pictures are my own.

1) Sungold (cherry) - http://www.seedaholic.com/tomato-f1-sungold.html

The flavour is intense but kind of musky is the only way I can describe it. Is lovely even when not fully ripened. Will definitely grow this again next year

2) Rosada (cherry) - http://www.seedaholic.com/tomato-f1-rosada-1.html

Lovely red oblong cherry tomato. Unlike the Sungold above, if picked early is nothing special. However if left to ripen is absolutely delicious and abundant.
Will definitely grow again next year.

3) Gardeners Delight - http://www.seedaholic.com/tomato-cherry-gardeners-delight-organic.html

Truth be told I was expecting more after reading reports online. Yes its a nice tasty tomato,but maybe I'm spoiled by abundant Sungold and Rosada cherry tomatoes this year? Compared to supermarket tomatoes that is still streets ahead of flavour. May skip growing next year if theres a strong recommendation to try another tasty variety.

4) Golden sunrise - http://www.seedaholic.com/tomato-golden-sunrise.html
tastewise is a big disappointment. Have tried leaving on the vine until going soft in case i wasn't ripening enough but the flavour both pot and soil grown is disappointing. Better than supermarket but not much. Looks nice though. Wont grow again.

I also have some Tigarella seeds (http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/tomato-seeds/tomato-tigerella/260TM) that I never got round to planting this year, anyone tried them before and would you recommend for flavour?

Would love to hear other members here experiences and recommendations for next year now that hopefully the taste is still fresh on tongues!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also going to grow Gardener's delight again next year as I'm very pleased with the flavour. I only have room for four plants and I think I'll concentrate on the small cherry tomatoes from now on........they are more tempting to eat, both for us and the grandchildren.The big ones weigh down the plant....and seem thicker-skinned than commercial ones.
sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tomatoes look great! I'm definitely tempted to grow my own next year, hopefully they work out as good as you!
Pollyf
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew a few different types of tomatoes this year. Rosada was one of my favourites. A lovely cherry plum tomato. Another one was Black Cherry, a dark skinned sweet cherry - lovely right off the stem. Most of them didn't even get in the front door! A beautiful sweet yellow pear tomato is Lemon Pear which is still bearing loads of fruit. A bush tomato called Mastotka was my earliest pick. It cropped the earliest, but has finished now. A friend brought me back seeds from South Africa of one called Banana Legs Tomato which is also a plum tomato, but so sweet with a thin skin. Well worth growing!
I have an allotment with a small polytunnel in which I grew my tomatoes.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgmgarden go for it! Just plant them inside or in the greenhouse early . I had a lady on the same street as me comment to me last week about my tomatoes (they are growing in my front garden) as she walked by. She wanted to know how come mine are so big and red whilst her's were smaller and all green., Turns out she planted them in April outside. I planted mine in March inside and only planted them outside in June when they got too big. Next year I'm going to plant in February inside and move to the greenhouse until May or June to try an get a further headstart.

Pollyf thanks fro your recommendations, I like the sound of the Black Cherry, will have a look for that one. Next year am going to stick to cherry tomatoes as they seem to have a more intense taste (at least the ones I've tried so far have)

My wife is going to China next month (she's Chinese) and is under orders to bring me back the weirdest tomato seed she can find so will be trying out those too!
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown the black cherry tomato from brown envelope seeds and they are delicious. Other good ones are yellow centiflor and choco stripe.
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking tomatoes Sneachta.

Sungold is a favourite of mine also

But of smaller garden or hanging baskets you could plant 'tumbler' and red cherry tomato

My harvest this year was massive and they were kept outdoors all summer.
sgmgarden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice Sneachta, I think I will give it a go!
yaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big: German Orange Strawberry - 350g approx
Small: Currant Gold Rush - size of a grape

Both are absolutely delicious but I won't be growing them next year because the plants themselves are massive in size. My greenhouse is over 7ft tall but these tomato plants reached the roof quite quickly and spread sideways a lot too.
For the next year I'll be looking for the more compact varieties. I had one small tomato plant this year that I bought in Woodies diy, Totem, I think, it's called. The plant itself is very nice - small and sturdy, with chunky dark colored leaves, but the fruit is hard and tasteless - so it's a no no too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: