Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Article claiming possible end to G-warming, pesticides &

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Turning my lawn into a woodland.
Last post: kindredspirit
A thousand bulbs
Last post: tagwex
What is this used for
Last post: Margo
Pines and topiary.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
avs0020
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Article claiming possible end to G-warming, pesticides & Reply with quote

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/wave-goodbye-to-global-warming-gm-and-pesticides-29525621.html

I know this is probably the wrong section to post this query but I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on this article. husband says its too good to be true. I dont realy know enough but am very excited about the potential. What are your thoughts?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracious, I can see why your husband says it sounds too good to be true.......! It isn't a reprint from an April 1st article is it ?
I'm joking....if Warrenstown and Kew gardens are impressed, I'll believe it. Sometimes the headlines to such stories do us no favours....they always have to be eye-catching, glib and extreme.
The technology sounds remarkably simple, not that I understand it.....but low-tech answers to global problems have to be the way to go. I'll be watching the press for more information.....Thanks !
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly season, anyone?
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy journalism too; they didn't even get the name of the university correct.
avs0020

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. But as much as I want to know if its true I'd also like to know why it isnt? Gautama. Could you perhaps clarify why you think it doesnt make sense? Thanks
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the link to my eldest who keeps himself up to date with current affairs etc......I thought he'd be sceptical, but he has read about this elsewhere. Interestingly if you google this you find the exact same headline that the Independent has printed given in an American (?) link ( sorry, my broadband is too slow to follow it up ) So the Independent journalists are too lazy even to concoct their own headline. If you had nothing better to do, it would be interesting to see how much ( or how little ) original writing is in a standard daily paper, and how much is just lifted straight out of the Internet.
Gautama

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, only in the month of August (the "Silly Season" of the newspapers) do articles of this ilk appear. And when they do, in August, should the readers be sceptical. They is little else going on or to report on, let's dig something sales-worthy up. What you see for only a day on April First you'll see for 31 days in August.
Secondly, if this was true and successful, can you imagine the effect it would have on the US petrochemical industry? This sector would crash, sending Wall St into a bear market and sending the US economy into recession. The powers that be would not encourage this at the best of times, not to mind in the current fragile economic times.
Finally, as someone else pointed out, there is no "Limerick University".
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats: Between the years 1900 and 2006 the population of the world QUADRUPLED.

In the USA there's a birth every 8 seconds and a death every 12 seconds, or one extra person per 24 seconds OR 3600 PER DAY, EVERY DAY - all of whom need food and raw materials as well as somewhere to live.

Ireland has always over-populated itself and offloaded it's surplus on to other countries. Earth Plc hasn't got that option and, if you imagine what Ireland would be like if emigration had to cease, then it may become apparent what's causing global warming?

avs0020

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am being gullible. Ah well. Wont be the last time/

Drat!! What a pity
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think (hope) there will be a very sheepish journalist in the indo this week.

the article is so full of nonsense it's incredible. all the excess CO2 in the atmosphere absorbed by vegetable matter?
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we maybe being led astray by stupid/lazy journalists ?? Maybe there is something in this treated water that increases fertility....? How would I know ? Maybe it is the totally over-the-top headline that is the really stupid thing here...nothing new there. Every day we are being told that some disease or other is about to be cured. When you read the details, you find an article about research at a very early stage. Everything nowadays has to be attention-grabbing. I don't think journalists/media "do" subtlety any more.....if they ever did.....
Blowin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, MK, it's not that stupid. Trees are the natural absorption agent for CO2 and are very good at it BUT, as I said a couple of posts ago, when the number of living things producing that CO2 results in the disappearance of the trees so that there are no longer enough of them to deal with the CO2, THEN you've got a problem.

It's really no different to a drainage system. The pipe that will deal with the waste from, say, 5 houses won't be able to cope if more and more houses are built on its catchment.

Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we consign avs0020 to a fit of depression, maybe those who doubt the existence of a 'Limerick University' and Mr Darragh should browse www.ul.ie?

Far be it from me to start endorsing the 'wetter water' etc theory - what would I know - but at least the uni's there if nothing else.

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Well, MK, it's not that stupid. Trees are the natural absorption agent for CO2 and are very good at it BUT, as I said a couple of posts ago, when the number of living things producing that CO2 results in the disappearance of the trees so that there are no longer enough of them to deal with the CO2, THEN you've got a problem.

the problem is that even if you did regrow all the trees which have been chopped down, global CO2 levels would still be far higher than they should be, given the amount of CO2 due to burning of fossil fuels; this technology offers nothing to capture that.
plus, where would they get the energy to rado-wave treat the water? burning more fossil fuels, probably.

i've radio-wave treated water before myself. in the microwave.
Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point exactly. If there were fewer of us, and hence more trees, we'd be burning less fossil fuels to fullfil our (fewer) needs? QED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: