Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

My favorite single tree to prune: ever. A Mt. Fuji cherry

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mdvaden
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: My favorite single tree to prune: ever. A Mt. Fuji cherry Reply with quote

Someone from the Brookings / Harbor, Oregon Garden Club emailed me this week, and, spontaneously, I replied with an attached image of a tree they reminded me of.

It was the tree I most looked forward to pruning on a yearly basis for someone in Wilsonville, Oregon. So I put the image to good use...

Everybody must have, or had, a favorite tree to prune.

What's your all-time favorite?

Do Mt. Fuji flowering cherry trees grow good in Ireland? My guess is that they would do okay.

Portland Landscape & Trees
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most flowering cherries grow well here in Ireland. I am not so sure I have a favourite tree to prune.
When do you prune your cherry trees mdvaden? Is it in late summer to avoid any viruses?
mdvaden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooler wrote:
Most flowering cherries grow well here in Ireland. I am not so sure I have a favourite tree to prune.
When do you prune your cherry trees mdvaden? Is it in late summer to avoid any viruses?

It seems that I do the most, on dry late winter days, or in late spring / early summer.

Here, good air circulation in the canopy is very helpful. So if a tree is too thick, it will be good to prune it in winter, so the wind circulates, and for filtered sun to come through.

2/3s of the time that I'm called to a property, there is somthing in the tree, that just shouldn't be there. And it those situations, the present time happens to be the best for pruning to correct the problem. That tends to spread the pruning through the entire year. I haven't seen any problems from pruning in various months, because more of my work is moderate thinning on the inside.

I saw one fl. cherry once, with cavities in the top of the main limbs. It was sunburn, because the homeowners in the past, pruned too much off the top during summer and exposed the bark to excessive direct sunlight: an immediate strong intensity light change.

The tree in the photo on the page I posted, was pruned about February to April each year.

Portland Landscape & Trees
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: