Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Maths Puzzle !!!

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ray and Fiona
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Maths Puzzle !!! Reply with quote

At last my raised beds are done and ready for the compost mix..

My question is how much mix do I need??

What does a 8' x 4' x 18 inches high raised bed take?

If anybody have any suggestions of what and where to get a very good compodst mix I would welcome your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Ray.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right thats 51.2 feet sq if my maths are right. 1 ton of soil will cover 20 metres sq tyo a depth of 40cms so convert the feet to mtrs sq hope this helps but there are better people here cleverer than me at maths
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That equates to 1.4m3 by volume and getting close to 2.5 tonne. Additionally you will find that it will self compact over the next few months so you will be constantly topping up. Have you ever dug a hole and managed to put back in exactly what you took out of it? Soil bulks up by a factor of approx. 1.7 and that is why you will never fill that hole due to the air spaces. So at a guess you will only get in a little over 1m3 at first and the rest will be topped up later on.

If you want advice on what to put in it and where to source it then that subject has been thrashed to death only this week on this forum. Check out a thread started by caz87 called raised bed compost filling in the vegetable/allotment section.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ray and Fiona, Any updates or photos to show us if your raised bed project is finished? How much soil did it take in the end?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: