Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Using Wild Rose and Blackberry as a hedge

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Bob Skunkhouse
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Using Wild Rose and Blackberry as a hedge Reply with quote

Hi,

What a great site! Been looking at it for a while but finally joined up.
This is my first post so no 'hard pruning' please - haha.

Anyways - Iet me set the scene before I ask my question. I've a lawn that backs onto a field that's populated by cattle. There's a barbed wire/sheep wire fence between the lawn and the field, but between this I've about 2-3 feet of burned weeds/lawn. Simplified it reads like - lawn, 2-3 feet of scrub area, then fence, then field.

I'm thinking of planting wild rose and blackberry bushes (propagated from wild existing ones) along the fence to use as both a deterrent for the cattle and also make it look a bit prettier. Does anyone see any issues with this? I don't mind the pruning in later years.

The site location is exposed and elevated

Last edited by Bob Skunkhouse on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome! We grow clematis, jasmine, honeysuckle, nasturtiums and sweet peas this way, on a chicken wire fence.

You could try thornless blackberry varieties, or blackberry/raspberry hybrids like tayberry and loganberry. They need at least 10 feet in either direction from where you plant them. You train shoots left one year, which fruit the next year, in which you train all new growth right. Don't worry, they WILL easily fill the gap within two years. My only concern would be with the training and picking if there is barbed wire in the fence.

If you just want a barrier between the lawn and fence, just do the standard 50% Cretaegous monogyna, 25% Prunus spinosa, 25% mixed randoms (Rosa canina/rugosa, Viburnum opulus, Sorbus aucuparia, Malus sylvestris etc.) OR just plant your roses and brambles to make a thick layer of scrub, which would also be excellent for birds and butterflies.
Bob Skunkhouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tippben,

Thanks for that. We did think of the mixed hedge alright, but were put off with the idea of giving that 'enclosed' look around the garden. The logic behind the blackberry and rose bushes is that they look equally as wild as the hedging, might give us some berries for the kids to pick, and would have more of a scraggly 'gawk' about them as opposed to a semi formal hedge - if you know what I mean.
There's lots of wild raspberries growing along the road so I might take few cuttings of these and see if I can propagate these. Also the country roads around us are festooned with brambles so the fact that we might grow them in and around a barbed wire fence wouldn't put me off. We'd just need to be careful when picking the fruit.

Just on the plants you mention above....would the cattle not have a field day eating these if we grew them.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there is an electric fence between the cattle and your land? If there isn't and the farmer won't put one in, or won't let you construct your own (in exchange for a few berries or pots of jam), just move your plants back 1 metre. How long is a cow's neck? They'd only eat the bits that would be a bugger to pick, and save you a pruning job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: