Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

bluebottles on rasberrys

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
icon
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: bluebottles on rasberrys Reply with quote

hi folks can anyone help me
i have an infestation of bluebottles on my rasberrys which are just ripening
is there any organic/natural cure for this?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown paper bags slipped over the young developing fruit (don't wait until they're big), being very careful not to knock the fruit off.

You can try leaving traps for them. An easy one is just to leave a bottle with some wine or fruit juice near the raspberries. Another way, is to create a cone with a piece of paper so that there is a small opening on the end. Then tape the cone, pointy end down, into a jam jar for instance, with a piece of fruit at the bottom. They will fly in, but not be able to get out.

A natural remedy to deter the flies is to spray an organic pesticide like chilli spray. I know the spice will cover your food, but it should wash off. You could at least try this for some of your crop and at least you'll get some food - even if you have to wash it a bit more thoroughly than usual.

The recipe for organic pesticide is:
■Take a handful of chopped chillies
■Cut up a few cloves of garlic
■A Spoonful of soap flakes to make it sticky

Boil all of these ingredients in about a litre of water for a few minutes until all the aroma is lingering around and the juices are infused into the water.

Then strain, cool and start spraying! This will be effective for a few weeks.

There is a product called Eco-naturalure that attracts the fly and kills it. You place it around the tree so it never touches the fruit. Check out this link

http://www.greenharvest.com

Another thing you can do is spray with insecticidal soap or Neem oil. Both are eco friendly solutions that won't harm the fruit. Insecticidal soap is just that -- pure soap and no detergents. Neem oil is made from the nuts of the Neem tree.

Don't know how big your crop is obviously but patience and endeavour should win out in the end.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's real nice to get a thank you when one bothers to take the time to answer your problem. I will be thinking hard about answering when I see 'icon' coming up again.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
icon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humbliest apology but i was unable to reply to your informative ideas
I am pleased to inform everyone that the chilli spray really worked after one spray and i think i will use this whenever needed
Many thanks tagwex
sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear you found a solution!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: