Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Piping for Small netting Tunnels

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sainttoff
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Piping for Small netting Tunnels Reply with quote

Hi All;

Does anyone know where i can get piping for small tunnels so i can put netting over it?

Trying to avoid B&Q etc as expensive.

I am out the Lucan way.

Thanks
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until someone from your area comes up with something better, I'd suggest a quick call to your local plumbers merchant to find out how much he'll sell you water main for. By putting sticks or stout wire into the ground and then slipping the pipe over them, your hoops will stay in position for as long as you want them to but can be easily moveable when the crop is finished.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Tunnel netting Reply with quote

Hello Saintoff,
I'm with Blowin on this. It is actually a job that I have pencilled in for tomorrow or Saturday to keep those pigeons off of my brassicas.

You should get some 3/4" water pipe (old battered stuff from a local farmer or one of the many vegetable farms in your area) or preferably buy new as it will last forever anyway. I am using 600mm lengths of 10mm rebar, driven into the ground and some scaffolders debris netting and loads of zipties to hold it together. You could try some salvage yards for the piping. There is a huge scaffolding yard in Lucan, at least they used to there anyway called Donohues if my memory serves me correctly, for the netting. It should be wide enough to cover two drills at a time.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any trouble accessing the soil and plants for weeding and pest removal? In the past I used to construct a cage of netting to keep pigeons away from my brassicas, but getting in there to weed, etc, involved de-constructing it all. Became a haven for weeds.

I've come up with an alternative but am considering commercial option for it.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the commercial effort but, in my experience, there's an almost universal resistance by manufacturers to new ideas. Believe me, I've tried.

About 4 years ago I got hold of some off cuts of black polypipe, cut them into 50inch lengths and fastened long pallet boards to them - one each end and one in the middle. I then fixed ordinary wire netting to them, lengthways. So, I finished up with lengths of tunnel by bending them and a simple peg each side stopped them springing apart. I then use as many as I need to protect a row and find something to block off each end (my problem is rabbits rather than pigeons).

I hope this is clear? The only proviso is that the length you cut your polypipe has to correspond to an available width of wire (or other) netting but I made about four of them and they're still perfectly serviceable today after four years in the open. Even if you have to buy your polypipe, I doubt that a commercial manufacturer will be able to compete with DIY on this one.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Netting access Reply with quote

No, no problem at all, kept the zip ties a little loose so as they just slide over the hoops concertina style down into one of the drills. Simples.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Saintoff: I am going to have to revise my comments above. After a bit of research it has come to light that scaffolders debris netting is too fine meshed and doesn't let enough light in so you should get netting from your garden center instead - the proper stuff.
You should respond to those that have bothered to answer you, as it says in the forum rules, as next time you have a query you may not be answered.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: