Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Potatoes turning yellow - help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on the wrong thread blowin - raised bed compost filling maybe?
Good idea though, I have a drink with a few of the local farmers now that they have let me into their inner circle now that I am one of them. I think I will get the analysis done at the local garden center though, only 5.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagmex I am anxious to know the condition of your potatoes which were posted on this site on July 16th. have they improved or got worse? i would like to know.
michael brenockj
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr Brenock, and thank you for asking. Well you do pick your days. Today was the first day that we picked the potatoes just to see what they were like and got enough for a few dinners while we were at it. Only picked 8 plants though and they were the sickly looking ones or had blown over completely, plus a pony escaped during the week and damaged a few so we had those. As regards the yellowing that was occurring, that faded away and no plant died. The yellow can still be seen in a few of them but not near as vivid as it was. The growth didn't hold back either and the crop is generally 800 to 1100mm high.

I was going to post up the following tonight anyway but I may as well ask you now. I sprayed for the blight this evening and it was a nightmare as the plants on adjacent drills have grown into each other making it hard to walk down the drills which are 28" apart and I heard many a stalk cracking. Note to self - wider drills next year. So I had a few thoughts which make sense to a beginner like me and probably wont work at all. Can the side shoots be removed without impacting on the plant and the crop? Especially the ones that are lying on the ground. Also, if I were to put a steel bar into the ground at the end of each drill approx. 900mm long with a 300mm T-piece welded to it and attach a strong twine, this would then hold all those side shoots in and stop them flopping around and make the drills more convenient for spraying/ weeding etc. It has the added benefit that a hose can be pulled around that bar rather than the usual two person job of feeding it down the drill. I have 90m of hose to contend with and steel bars and twine are plentiful here.

I want to expand next year and have 8 varieties of potato, two each of earlies, late earlies, maincrop and late maincrop. So which of the recommended varieties need to be in wider drills as the Roosters and Kerrs Pinks here have just intermeshed into one big mess and it's very hard to walk through them. My Golden Wonders seem to be be a more upright and slender plant.

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to Blowin, someone (my potatoes) did indeed mention getting soil tested through a farmer when they get theirs done.

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would revitalise this thread as new information has come to light which may knock out a few of the earlier theories. I was clearing the plot in final preparation for this years sowing and found approx. 70 plants growing again from the few potatoes that were left unknowingly in the ground, maybe I shouldn't have bothered as some were the size of marbles but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. I found a few small plants with the yellowness on them again. This area was sprayed with asteroid headland, a round up equivalent lately which may be the cause but I think we decided last year that this wasn't the cause. Any more thoughts?

20140507_131947.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.89 KB
 Viewed:  9601 Time(s)

20140507_131947.jpg

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:

I'd considered getting this tool to make the task easier:
http://www.wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/multi-change-tools/grow-your-own-tool-heads/multi-change-ridger-20cm
... but haven't taken it any further.

I did write a post to see if anyone else had tried these tools. The first reply was off topic, something about Lidl and Aldi specials and it went wayward from there:
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about6515.html

I bought one of these tools yesterday, a 58cm rake to help with destoning the drills plus a handle, obviously. Have to say, after looking through the available products, that they do appear robust and sturdy. My one gripe is that the angle of the head is not adjustable and I find that it doesn't go deep enough into the soil. It will be bent. Anyway, I also wanted to get a seed sower as the amount I have to do is huge so a sower would help. There are two available but the range of seed spacings is very limited i.e. 3cm and 10cm. Yet there are six settings to suit the seed size. Anyone would need 3cm to 24cm surely to cover everything. Does anyone know of such a tool? I have checked Mr Middleton, there is another make there but again appears limited in spacing choices.
Finally, the tool is stamped, 'Made in WEST Germany'. Strange!

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was blight spraying today and have noticed that in some areas the plants are quite big and bushy and meeting in the drills, making it hard to walk through them. Planted May 17. Particularly in the Caras and Golden Wonders.
Soooooo I was wondering. Is there any disadvantage to cutting off the side shoots to make things easier.

Advantages are, less to spray, easier to walk through, wind gets to the plants more effectively reducing risk of blight, compost bin filled in stages rather than a big glut at harvesting time.

Disadvantages ..................

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone.......

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only guessing but, apropos our earlier PMs, I rather think the more serious of our compadres - the ones who could help - may be disenchanted by the increased tittle-tattle?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orrrr they could be on holidays, or passed out from the heat or they just don't know blowin!
Tittle tattle, guilty of that myself.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this Blowin, on the home page it says "Chat about any subject which is not covered by our topics below eg. tv gardening shows, sport, pets, hobbies and interests etc. " in the 'Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News section', so it seems tittle tattle is encouraged!!!

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't challenge what you say but I, for one, have far too much in my life to engage in what's known as social media, just for something to occupy my time. I therefore have nothing whatever to do with things like Facebook or Twitter and, like anybody else, can vote with my feet.

When I first joined, the content was far more 'businesslike', if that's the right word, and threads were more or less confined to the requesting and giving of advice or hints. I feel it's a great site and wouldn't like to see people walk away because they're not prepared to wade through reams of aimless twaddle.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with you more on the Facebook and Twitter front. People do go off thread here occasionally, myself included, we are even doing it right now! So we should all make an effort to stick the non - gardening stuff into the appropriate thread i.e. the overall discussion thread, a place purpose made for aimless twaddle as you call it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: