Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Potatoes turning yellow - help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 'My "floury" potatoes'.
The pleasure that I get from burning the Couch grass and its roots far outweigh any benefits of a liquid fertiliser. Just to make sure that it is dead, it has been a nightmare to get rid of.

Our local garden center has a soil testing service for 5, not the DIY kits but a proper scientific test so I will be availing of that to find out what is going on.

Interestingly enough I only bought a knapsack last week, I had been borrowing my fathers 30+ year old one for ages but it is knackered as it had to be pumped constantly, just not holding the pressure any more. If you want a bargain find your local Smyths ARRO hardware store and buy a TECNOMA 1600 knapsack for 35 knocked down from 80. The reason is that Smyths ARRO are no longer dealing with their Irish supplier. I have checked with other retailers and they are indeed selling for 60 to 80 and in online shops in the UK for 50. There is an attachment that you require (a U-shaped nozzle-head) but I am awaiting the price to come back from the French manufacturer for that and a double headed lance that covers 1-1m. That Hozelock 5L must be a nightmare to use for spraying large areas, I have one of them too. Try greasing the rubber seals, that should make it more effective. Cannot recommend the Tecnoma 16 litre knapsack enough, get one, you wont be disappointed.

Michael Brenocks comments on an iron or manganese deficiency makes sense too as the pictures on various websites do concur with what he says, leaf curl on the youngest leaves at the top of the plant and yellowing.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm. sounds like you work for ARRO and get an xmas dinner if you sell enough of these sprayers. I'd report a spam, but luckily I don't have to do that too often. I'll just leave this message.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: SMYTHS ARRO Reply with quote

Hello tippben,

erm. NO. I don't work for Smyths ARRO at all. Merely passing on that a bargain is to be had for a short period when 'my potatoes' asked me what sprayer i had and he/she was struggling with a pump action 5 litre Hozelock. And, as they are selling for 35 and not 80 then I would doubt if there is much profit in it for S A and even less of a bonus for me. What do you use in N. Tipp for weed control these days, slashing with the county teams unused hurleys? Embarassed

My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume tippen has started reading this thread from page 2. Never a good idea, be it forums or books!

Anyway, yeah, there's an Arro nearby me. I checked their website at lunchtime and saw the sprayer there online. Alas, when I look for it now I can't find it. I'll drop in tomorrow. Thanks.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Sprayer Reply with quote

Hello 'My potatoes'.

That makes sense alright about starting at page 2.

http://www.tecnoma-store.co.uk/ is the website that you need.

13207 is the accessory that we are after and I am also looking to get 13210.
Chasing prices as we speak.

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold out in my closest Arro!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a bargain so. You may go further afield, Clonakilty maybe.

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
I checked their website at lunchtime and saw the sprayer there online. Alas, when I look for it now I can't find it. I'll drop in tomorrow. Thanks.

I was looking at the wrong site. It wasn't on www.arro.ie, it was on www.smythsarro.ie !
Unfortunately, they're completely sold out. They had about 50 of them but they flew off the shelves.
I've found them being sold on eBay for 50 with free delivery. 19 sold, 8 remaining. Wonder if they got them from Arro?
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ my potatoes: ahh well that was unlucky, I did say it was a great bargain. My post did say SmythsARRO. My local SmythsARRO in Enniscorthy here also sold out, my father got the last one. Looks suspicious alright about eBay. Sure you will get one somewhere.

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought the Tecnoma sprayer on eBay. It arrived after two days but I didn't use it 'til this morning for the first time.
I'm disappointed with the purchase. Though the seven day cooling off period has passed I've contacted the retailer to ask for a refund. From the message I sent:

Quote:
I'm disappointed with the sprayer itself. I didn't open the box 'til yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. So far, I've three complaints:
* The "translucent and graduated tank" is does not live up to its promise. When filling the tank with liquid it is not apparent how full it is. It is necessary to look inside the tank, then place a finger on the outside at the graduations to determine how full the tank is.
* There is no trigger lock, which is standard on most other sprayers. It is necessary to hold the trigger all the time.
* The pressure drops after a few seconds of spraying. Continuous pumping is required to get a constant mist.
I realise that the above points relate to the product and not you, and may not be defects as such.

I can't believer there is no trigger lock. Not only is it useful when spraying, but with my old one when I was rinsing it out afterwards, I'd pump it up, lock the trigger, then walk away. It would spray/rinse thru the hose, lance, etc. Come back a half hour later and pack it up.

Ah well! I thought the cooling off period period was 15 days. Seems to be only 7.

On the plus side, it's light and easy to assemble left-handed. The straps are well padded and the tank opening is wide. The lance is a good length and pumping is easy.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you got one eventually. Totally agree about the translucent tank part - first thing I noticed. Trigger lock would have been a bonus alright. Must say I don't have the last problem you mention. Trigger lock might be on the attachments that I am still waiting on a price for.

OK for the 35 though yes??? Or was it 50?

So you're a cuiteog - should be good at tennis!!!

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@my potatoes; It's national left handers day, have a good one!

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, National Left Handers Day today and National Potato Day in 10 days time. But September is my favourite month.
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvesting or an All Ireland might come Corks way?

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tagwex. I've been out of my depth on most of this thread but IF, as one of the others said, the farmers' test scheme is expensive, there's a way round it.

As I understand it, a farmer will take a sample from each field and get them tested as a sort of 'job lot'. Given the co-operation of an amenable farmer, slipping in another 'field', i.e. yours, won't increase his bill by much and you just pay him the difference. Neighbour has a brother with a farm - hence the knowledge and the tip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: