Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

English Oak Acorns.

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: English Oak Acorns. Reply with quote

Would anybody be kind enough to give me some English oak acorns as I am longing to grow an Oak tree.I would really appreciate it very much.When you give me the answer I need I will pm you my address if you are willing.
Thank you very much.I know they mightn't be the season for them now but whenever it is the season you could give me the acorns if you are willing.
Edlyn12
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edlyn, you should be able to collect them easily enough.
any particular reason you're going for pedunculate oak over sessile oak? given you're in castlegregory, sessile oak might be better for your conditions?
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just further to that point - you'd be much better off collecting seed locally, as it would be of stock suited to your conditions. an acorn from a tree growing in say the midlands might not do as well as an acorn from a tree established in your area.
Edlyn12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any access to Acorns in my area,but I suppose I wll opt for Sessile Oak.I took a Pendunculate oak cutting which is softwood from the woods in Garrettstown Co.Cork as I'm up in Cork for my holidays.There was no sign of acorns on the tree as it's the only oak in the woods.If you medieval knieval think the Sessile Oak will be more suitable for my area I will opt for this.Do you think the two softwood cuttings from the pendunculate oak will root and grow.If anybody is able to give me Sessile Oak acorns I'll be more than happy whenever they'll be in season.
Edlyn12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: