Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Soil for new raised beds???

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
New herbaceous border
Last post: TMAK
Hello to all
Last post: Jim wolohan
Wanted moderator or admin appply to............
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having found Greystones on the web, this may not be relevant, nor do I know what transport facilities an individual may have but I've found the following useful.

I'm very deep in the countryside and have a ditch/dyke running down the outside of the property by the road. The depth of it isn't uniform and, as a result, from time to time the deeper sections silt up. The water runs straight off neighbouring farm land and therefore contains an element of any fertilisers that may have been spread on it by the farmer(s).

In terms of consistency, the sediment is naturally very fine, totally stone free and thus easy to dig out. A couple of months ago I emptied our ditch and was quite surprised at the number of barrowloads it amounted to. Having a patch of ground that needs gingering up a bit, I dug a spade into the ditch across the road and found it to be two spades deep in the same stuff so I excavated several more barrowloads from there and still have a lot more available.

From what one of the earlier contributors said, bought soil is pretty expensive so, if you've access to country ditches and the means to transport their contents, this could be a usefull way of obtaining good quality soil for raised beds or, as in my case, for improving existing ground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: