Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Bin carrot seedlings if root fly larvae found?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MisseyB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Bin carrot seedlings if root fly larvae found? Reply with quote

I was thinning out my carrot seedlings today and i found quite a few thin white larvae in the vicinty. I'm wondering if it's carrot root fly and if so should i just clear the area of all seedlings and try again next year?

Thanks in advance
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your carrots covered in fine netting like enviromesh? If not, then you are in trouble - sorry!

Anyone growing carrots should get down to their local hardware shop and buy four 16foot lengths of 2x1, a box of screws and some fine netting from Woodies and make these:
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/files/img_1611_714.jpg
MisseyB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i should have netted them but never got around to it. If i bin these seedlings do you think i'll be okay to plant next year?
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to say dig up all your existing carrots but it's not too late to sow more now...
MisseyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i thought if the larvae where in the ground i was scuppered. I didn't realise that if i plant in a different area i could do another crop. Thanks for advice.
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MisseyB, I always plant onions each side of my carrots, seems to deter carrot fly, always works for me. try not to sqeeze the tops when thinning as carrot fly get the scent from half a mile away. You could also try a fleece barrier (Around two and a half ft. high) around the carrots. (carrot fly is not supposed to fly more than 2ft high) Although, they seem to get through walls,hedges,weeds ect 6ft high. Ahhhh, the joys of battle in the garden!.
nibbler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sirpsycho, it's not too late to sow more. I usually have to re-sow carrots in June owing to slug losses and I always get a nice crop. On the subject of netting, if you live near Dublin (or Belfast) you could pick up these (http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/10070262/). Very fine netting and cheap like the budgie.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bin carrot seedlings if root fly larvae found? Reply with quote

MisseyB wrote:
I was thinning out my carrot seedlings today and i found quite a few thin white larvae in the vicinty. I'm wondering if it's carrot root fly and if so should i just clear the area of all seedlings and try again next year?

Thanks in advance

It is definitely carrot fly? There's no point in taking preventative measure until you've positively identified the pest.

Alas, carrot fly is a scourge. It's not like slug or other pests, where you can cut out the affected area and eat the rest. The carrot fly destroys most of the carrot, leaving you with nothing.
MisseyB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank to everyone for taking the time to answer my post. I'm pretty confident that it's carrot root fly larvae. I check in a book i have and they look identical.

i think i might just plant more and net those. seems to be the best plan. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: