Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

My garden a year on

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
robineire
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: My garden a year on Reply with quote

This is my second summer in Derrykyle, last year was hot early and wet for the rest of the year, this has been the opposite we had a very cold spring here with all the bushes and plants about a month late but after a wonderful few weeks of weather the gardens are looking great.
Its hard to keep up with the three acres I have tamed, a bit, out of the six that make up my grounds here but actually when I take a walk into the untamed bits its great to see a mother Mallard duck with 8 ducklings doing her thing unpestered and a pair of what I think may be red kites, but seeing there are only 7 breeding pairs in Ireland they could be sparrows or swans, I'm not a twitcher I'm afraid.
Over the last couple of months one roddy after another has come into bloom there have been whites, pinks, purples, reds a light blue one and an orange one and they seem to be staggered so that when one ends another is in full bloom. I cut back a lot of bushes the first year I was here and they all seem to have been revitalised for it as this years blooms are very impressive.
[/img]

IMG_1249 (800x533).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  546.01 KB
 Viewed:  5394 Time(s)

IMG_1249 (800x533).jpg

IMG_1266 (800x563).jpg
 Description:
The pond is almost covered in lily pads with maybe 40 in bloom this week
 Filesize:  277.63 KB

IMG_1266 (800x563).jpg

IMG_1152 (800x533).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.68 KB

IMG_1152 (800x533).jpg

IMG_1019 (800x533).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  534.34 KB

IMG_1019 (800x533).jpg

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The gardens are not lost after all. Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Br1an
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like such a wonderful place.

I hope you remember to take time out to enjoy it, which is easy to forget when you get bogged down in maintenance.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning !
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful!
robineire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: The midgies Reply with quote

I really enjoy the garden my only problem is the midgies, because I have a lot of trees around and the ponds the whole place is infested with the wee darlings until November. I have thinned out a lot of the trees that were suffering from overcrowding and standing dead ones and there is a bit more breeze through the garden than last summer but they are still woeful.

Not sure if anyone that reads this blog has experience of the C02 emitting midge machines as I was thinking of investing in one but don't want to waste my money as there are plenty of other jobs needing the cash injection.

My next project is to create a lawn between the front gate and the house which is too bumpy for the lawnmower at the moment and is long grass, weeds and the odd bush. I have been taking photos throughout the year and some of the highlights are on picassa https://plus.google.com/112827770475239457171/posts?hl=en
robineire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Fourth Spring in Derrykyle Reply with quote

Well this is our fourth spring here in Derrykyle and there is quite a noticeable difference to the place. Most noticeable is the tree thinning that has taken place and the lack of bramble bushes now.
I had a horrendous time last year with gales knocking over about 45 of the softwoods here but actually their falling has worked out well with more of a breeze now the midgies are not half as bad as they were and I have firewood for years to come.
This last few months I have had helpers from a website called Helpx staying with us and helping me in the garden five hours a day five days a week. It has worked out well as I ripped my Achilles tendon off last December and was in a cast and orthopaedic boot for the first part of the year and not up to fitness until the Autumn.
I borrowed an excavator to dig up the fallen tree roots and ended up doing a lot of other work with it too like dredging a bit of the pond and creating three large rockeries. Photos to follow Smile
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing those photos as I was following your progress with interest.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
robineire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Some Spring pics from my garden Reply with quote

robineire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Trees that came down in the Feb 2014 Reply with quote

I had about 45 trees come down in the February storms of 2014 and it has taken me a year to get them logged and sorted out here partially due to injuring my Achilles tendon and being in a cast for months, anyway the photos below are some of the devastation and clearing.

The bottom couple of shots is an area I have cleared and aim to put a wild flower meadow in. I built a couple of rockeries with the stones I dug up when uprooting the stumps. Planted heathers and some other rockery plants on them so it should be a bonny wee area when things come into bloom.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By contrast the area beyond your boundaries seem so bleak. A lot of hard graft gone on there, well done and it's looking good.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done a huge amount of work and the results are well worth it. I'm looking forward to more photos as the year progresses. Well done.
OscarKane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your garden looks so nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: