Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Dying alder

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kennyodea
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Dying alder Reply with quote

Hello, one of my alder trees which I transplanted last December now appears to be dead. It put out small leaves but now many branches of the have gone completely brown. Others look very limp. I have watered it a lot and under the bark still is nice and green. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Regards, Kenny
john1412

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll say it before someone else does but have you got a picture? and i'd say don't worry too much and maybe give it until next year, the shock from a change of environment might have done it, it might just need time to establish its self in the new location
kennyodea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's surface roots (the root collar) should be at the soil surface. If it was planted deeper, that would cause the symptoms you describe. Lots of water (flooding) is what it likes. All you can do at this point is ensure constant sogginess. In the winter, you can perhaps lift it a bit, if it was planted too deep. If parts die back, but the plant survives, don't worry. Alder is a coppice tree (used for charcoal production), so you can cut back as much as you like in winter, and it will grow again, as long as it is planted at the correct depth, and it has a constant supply of water to draw from.
kennyodea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very muck that's great. I could have easily planted it a bit to deep. Can you answer another question for me. my beech hedge is sown in an area close to a retaining wall on one side. It has produced a nice crop of leaves but now it is producing some tiny yellow leaves. It has done the same for the past 2 years. it has been fertilised with 7-6-17 (NPK). Any advice. It is 2 years old
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: