Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Can you help me identify this weed please.

Most Recent Posts Is this a Verbascum
Last post: Sue Deacon
Rose disease
Last post: Sue Deacon
Compost question
Last post: Keeks
Announcement: Free Bloom 2017 tickets for three lucky members.
Last post: James Kilkelly

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Riverrun
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Can you help me identify this weed please. Reply with quote

what a gorgeous day. I'm new here, i do a a little gardening for relaxation. i live in a corner site which is problemTic from a weed control point of view. I try to stay as organic as possible. i have a problem weed right now in one of my raised beds. It looks like the pine leave of a Christmas tree, it's about 9" high, attached to the leaves are little round brown things that spring off as soon as you touch the plant. The little attachments look like quinoa spirals or tiny brown circles. Can anyone tell me what they could be. I'm attaching a pic

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.29 KB
 Viewed:  2577 Time(s)

image.jpg

Riverrun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pic

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.27 KB
 Viewed:  2570 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.4 KB
 Viewed:  2570 Time(s)

image.jpg

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photos are upside down, but I think the weed is my arch-enemy.....hairy bittercress. Horrible thing, it seeds itself everywhere and usually arrives into a garden in the pots of plants you buy. As soon as you see it, hoe or pull it up it has shallow roots....the flowers are tiny white ones...don't let it go to seed, as it fires the seed around like bullets.Google it to learn what to look for and then go on the warpath !!!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. A little tip. If you are pulling it while it has it's seed pods, use a small plastic bag. (GENTLY!) Cover it, pinch the bottom, then pull. Any ripe seeds can then be disposed of, and not fire themselves around your garden. It might seem like at bit of a hassle, but a couple of hours spent weeding once is better than constant generations of hairy bittercress!

I'd advise against hoeing unless the plants are very young. The seed pods are touch sensitive (brilliant evolution, have to admire the plant!), and on contact, explode like little cluster bombs. That's why I use the "prophylactic" method for those I missed that grew as large as the ones you have.
Riverrun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes I googled your suggestions and that's the one alright. Unfortunately I am too late with this one as it has scattered its seeds everywhere. And only the empty curled up pods are left. Certainly a nasty one. Thanks for your help
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardamine hirsuta is my most hated weed.
The trouble is it can produce flowers, followed by the explosive seed pod, on a weeny plant only a quarter of an inch tall.
It gets in amongst other plants where you cannot even see it.
It is just impossible to iradicate.
Best time to try weeding it is after a shower.
The pods must be dry to explode...so dry sunny days are the worst time to try removing it.

http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/cruciferae/cardamine-hirsuta.htm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cardamine+hirsuta&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xvStUcXpNdH30gXx44CoDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamine_hirsuta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: