Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Japanese Maple half dead

Most Recent Posts sweet potato
Last post: Ado 2
Planning the garden jobs month by month - OCTOBER
Last post: Ado 2
Kondor potato seed.
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Leiro
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Japanese Maple half dead Reply with quote

Hi
I have a Japanese maple growing in my driveway. I just noticed that half of it seems dead and I don't know what to do. Will I remove the dead branches? What could be causing it? There was a large iris next to it but I removed that today (I was moving it anyway)
Any help appreciated. I really like this tree & don't want to loose it!
Thanks Shocked

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  342.5 KB
 Viewed:  4072 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  329.44 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  329.89 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.73 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  334.56 KB

image.jpg

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would neatly trim back any dead wood and it will immediately look better. Then just wait and see how it grows. There has been a lot of damage this year on all sorts of shrubs and trees, we just have to hope things will recover.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looked the same. It was that constant easterly wind that did it.

Only trim the bits that are grey. Break off a bit first to see if it is green in the middle.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it A. palmatum "Bloodgood"? They get quite big, so it's completely normal for the tree to lose its lower and inner growth as the tree grows. Only worry about damage to the tips. That is caused by dessication (water loss), either by wind, sun, or both. Yours looks like it is in a very sunny position, regardless of wind.

You can help the plant though. Definitely remove any dead wood, but don't cut any living wood until the leaves have fallen. Leave a hose on "trickle" by the tree overnight. Then feed it. Any kind of feed will do, but a "tree and shrub" product is best. Then give it a couple of gallons of properly diluted liquid seaweed or nettle feed. After that mulch the tree with 2" of leafmould or compost. Don't use manure, as that is too strong, and will produce lots of soft, sappy growth that will exascerbate the problem. Don't use soil, as that will choke the tree's root system. The purpose of the mulch is to simulate a forest floor: lots of organic plant matter that will hold in moisture, and gradually be taken down into the soil. Give the tree a thorough soak, using the method above, twice a week (once if it's a wet week). Don't spray it for five minutes and walk away, as that will only wet the top inch of soil, and won't really do much good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: