Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

...What did you do Today...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 229, 230, 231  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain..........
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few hostelries in Mallow so if you had several rounds in each.......... then Dublin Dave wasn't a well boy the next day. Nothing worse than drinking another mans beer and crocodile tears to boot!!!
I had plenty in the HiB anyway.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often Dined in the Hib' but it's a bitch to get parking when you've an Invalid on board and even a walk from the Car Park behind is to much for my Wife...anyway I doubt about having a hangover in truth I'm a Teetotaler...hope thats not held against me... Sad
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hold nothing against you, we all have our vices, I like a few pints every once in a while and you have your fags and coffee.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost just under 3st in the "Operation Transformation" with another Stone to go on my own but some of the Women asked for the Weigh-ins to continue so at least I still have the incentive...still do 2 1hr walks every Day AM/PM...and this Morning for the 1st time in Memory {mine at least} I was able to do the walk without the customary Waterproof Top and Bottoms it was like stepping out of a Nightmare into Heaven...Sun shine...Birds Chirping...and not a Soul in sight at 7.30am on the Boreen...

Yesterday I managed to dig another Flower Bed and fill it with Colour my 1st manual work of the year and did it feel good...also cut back a Rose Bed.. things can only get better...hope its as nice where ever you are...
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great achievement, losing so much weight, well done. I'm interested to read that you were digging a flower bed.......I'm finding the soil is still very sticky here after all the recent rain, and can't even weed as yet......do you have sandy soil ?
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sive...my Soil is atrocious to put it mildly...where I put the Bed
consists of about 2" of Soil then Hard Core which I try to remove as much as possible to get down to the actual Clay then I backfill the hole before planting...there is not one area of the entire Garden where you can actually use a Pitchfork in the conventional manner without coming up against stones and rocks...I'm surprised that many of the Shrubs and Flowers I have managed to plant have actually flourished so in answering your Question about my digging in soft wet Ground that problem never arises because of lack of it...Soil that is...

Every single Shrub/Plant is Soul destroying trying to get them into the Ground and takes so long which is why I keep the Beds to a minimum...the area was dug around the Pergola to brighten it up...George is getting me some Evergreen Climbers to put up against the Posts and eventually give it the " Its been there years" look...and I've also ordered several Grasses to soften some areas and take away the Persons eyes from the not-so-nice parts I can do nothing with...the Grasses seem content for some reason with the Soil...
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the weight loss, G. Well done. I've a half stone off since January and could do with shedding another stone. Unfortunately, one of my feet is very sore, so I'm finding it hard to walk much, which is very frustrating. I'd much rather walk than use the exercise bike!
I was bombing along the road past your house an hour or so ago and wondering how you are getting on. Good to hear you are doing some planting. I planted small quantities of seeds today in modules and pots, to get things started: scallions, chard, lettuce, bok choi, beet root, coriander and dill. I planted tomatoes (sweet million), my first ever. I hope to grow them in a little plastic greenhouse from Aldi. One of the reasons I bought it was to see can I justify buying a 'proper' one.
As for working the soil, mine is ok provided you don't stand on it. I've managed to have most bits of the garden reachable from either a path, a lawn or a bit of hard standing, so I can start to clear last years dead foliage and stalks and the weeds too. And if the weather is like today, well, happy days!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GG....Nothing as bad as being crocked before you even begin...I know exactly how you feel...normally I'm walking without the Stick but on my Daily walks I carry it with me as after a while I begin to feel the Aches in the Hip and that really peeves me off as I want to go quicker but I'm just not able...it was politely put to me that I was using the Hip as an excuse but in reality it was my age...cant really give the Wife a kick up the Punjab region...would not be Gentlemanly of me...but She sure is Testing the Waters...

Hope your planting is a success...have you seen the Mini Tunnels that quite a few Gardeners are trying out before going onto bigger ones...there was a Discussion here about them a while ago...I saw them in our local Connacht Gold Store for under 300...10'X8'X61/2' or near enough...might be worth your while inquiring...if it didn't suit you'd have no trouble selling it on...

Hope your Foot improves before this good Weather ends...you will never get the chance again...I'm lapping it all up... Embarassed That's how I look after each walk...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up at 6.15am...Showered and was on the Road by 7am...back Home by 8am... had Breakfast and by 9am was helping the Neighbour Denis load the Trailer with dead Escalonias from his Garden ...after 2 runs to a Local Green waste and space to work we planted 21 Laurels and retired for our Customary Morning break...

By Noon I had begun giving the Car a good Wash / Polish and Hoovering finishing with a good Buffing...after Lunch I'm tackling the front Lawn and Weather permitting Tomorrow I'll tackle outside the Fence...a quiet enough Day with all Tasks being done at my own Pace and no Sweating or Grubby Clothes after... its overcast here but mild and no Winds...ideal for doing whatever you want...

Tomorrow if Denis has the rest of the Stumps removed we will finish planting the Laurels...
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I had a man helping me to finish off my raised beds and yesterday I spent a couple of hours cutting out soil and fixing the levels for what will eventually be paths between them; I'll need to make shallow, barrow friendly steps,too. There won't be enough soil to fill them because, due to the slope of the land, a bed that is 12 inches deep on one side is 18 deep on the other! It takes a lot to fill them, but I've compost to add and I'm going to top them off with veggie mix, which will be weed free. As of this year, I'll be able to work out a sensible rotation.
Meanwhile, the garlic, onions, leeks and beans need to be weeded. I wasn't in the garden at all today as it was my daughter's birthday, so there were other priorities.
To complete the veg plot I need to put in some edging at the top of the 8ft high bank - I'm thinking of using two step-over apples as a fence (any suggestions, anyone?). I need a proper compost heap, too, as my other ones are too far away and I need a good, practical, material for the paths. I'm debating coarse gravel or the kind of chipped wood used in equestrian arenas. Ease of maintenance, durability and cost are the main factors.
The foot is responding to Physio and exercise but I've been told it will take a long time. Patience!

image.jpg
 Description:
The veg plot today
 Filesize:  260.8 KB
 Viewed:  11002 Time(s)

image.jpg

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up at 6am this Morning and on the Road for my walk by 6.30...back Home at 7.30...had Breakfast and by 8.15 was clearing a Stream at the rear of the House of Bramble and Reeds and Tree Stumps which were beginning to show signs of growth and managed to fill the Trailer...managed about 3/4 of the intended Area before deciding to give it a rest... but was well pleased with the result...
Next on the agenda was the Lawn...because it had its last cut in Dec' it was very easy to Mow and had it done in no time...headed outside and got the other 3 Grass Areas done also...all of this by Lunch-time...well chuffed with myself...
Phone call from my Daughter in Cork to let us know that our 10 Mth old Grand-Daughter had taken her first 3 Steps today...great News all round.
Decided to spoil myself and relax with a good read for the PM when I've finished this...anyone who has an interest in DIY Sheds cannot go wrong with "Tiny Homes" by Llyod Kahn {Amazon} its the most amazing collection of Timber Homes built by ordinary People that anyone with minimal expertise could do...anyway I'm off to read my Dream and imagine the wide open Plains of the US where the majority of these Homes are...but would even be at home here in Ireland...
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey you're lucky with the weather to be able to do all what you've done today. Here we've had awful wind and rain all night and continued throughout today. At the moment the rain is coming over in sheets.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margo...yes we have been lucky but luck that's well overdue...I think the N/W has had more than its fair share of bad Weather { But then I would say that} today was Windy and overcast but no rain...the Wind was not cold so I'd say that helped with the Mowing...tonight we are suppose to have more rain but should be gone by Morning heading Eastward...anyway Wet or Dry tomorrow I have plenty of Outdoor/Indoor work to keep me occupied all Day...

I recently stripped down a Garden Bench...cleaned the Ironwork and repainted it...did the same with the Timber Latts and Stained them now they are ready to reassemble...the Trailer needs emptying and the last 1/4 of the Stream to finish...so rain or shine does not matter...its great to be back in the thick of it... hope I can say the same in a few weeks time when its all go...
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 2 days sunshine last week, So we was able to give the grass a top cut. The actual garden is to wet to dig or do anything other than cut back or tidy. Planted a load of strawberries in hanging baskets in the Polytunnel a couple of weeks ago. Did it early last year and we was eating strawberries in April. Don't think they will be as early this year as they've not even started to sprout
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get my onions and leeks and early broad beans weeded and did more work on filling the raised beds. They are nearly ready to top off with Veggiemix, now. I had planned a major tidy up, today, of the remains of last years stalks and stems, to finish off last week's work but the weather is horrible.
I picked brocolli and chard for last night's stir fry, which also included my garlic and dried chillies. It was damn good, too!
I've noticed that of the seeds I planted, the tomatoes, lettuce, broad beans and bok choi have germinated, so the season has really started.
I'm going away for a few days so nothing will get done until next week. I expect I'll have to get the mower out, by then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 229, 230, 231  Next
Page 12 of 231

Jump to: