Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

...What did you do Today...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 229, 230, 231  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain..........
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Good guy...hope you get your wishes to get back to your "Active Retirement" plans cause' if you were here you'd be on extended "Sick Leave"... such is the Weather...although its ceased raining now so I may get that walk in yet...

Spent close on 15yrs in the Scouts myself...it was a great Life,spent many a weekend up in Larch Hill in the Dublin Mountains,have you ever been there... had many a swim in our own outdoor Streamfilled swimming Pool...bloody cold I can tell you...one Christmas week about 50+yrs ago I won a bet for 2n6 {old money} 12n1/2 new pence that I would not swim a length of the Pool...I gave him double value for his money...I did 2 lenghts...

That Adventure Centre could be the "Benwiskin Centre" in Ballintrillick they organise outdoor activities regularly and its right at the foot of "Benbulbin"...Mullaghmore was my favourite walking haunt but now every Tom-Dick and Harry is using it all hours of the Day and there's really little or no Solitude left so I'm using that Boreen again...that other walk I took the other day was a bummer using a different route...all up n down Hill...left me in bits...

Anyway I'm going to avail of this Weather break and cripple myself some more...catch ye later...
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ger... I went for a walk in the rain, anyway! I needed a couple of things from the chemist, so I walked it and I'm glad of the exercise. When I bought this house in the late 80s I could walk every back road around here, but now there is too much traffic for comfort, let alone safety. In any case, those roads have been 'suburbanised' by one-off housing. The alternatives are to walk in one of our two very pleasant parks, to walk the town or to drive out of town - which kind of defeats the object - low carbon exercise. My wife uses a treadmill but I don't like it.

I never went scouting in Wicklow; Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Louth, mainly. Though I took our gang to the jamboree at "Portdmudna" in that horrible wet summer of '85. I loved all the scouting stuff. It was Ballintrillick we went to. Good fun up the mountains!

Today has been a good day, though. I went back to my yoga class tonight, after an absence of 18 months. Feel great after it. All the best!
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished off all my shallots the other night, in a Thai curry. Very good they were too, but I'll try to grow a larger variety this year, cos they were very fiddly to peel.
Managed to clear out 3 blocked gulley traps today - leaves, grit and grot! Not my most favourite job. But in compensation, I cut some witchazel twigs that are coming Into flower and added them to a late rose. Tomorrow the kitchen should be nicely scented. Good to have the first cut flowers of the year.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 9th last "Operation Transformation" began in Grange Village...over 400 People turned up from all over Sligo to participate which was much more than anyone expected...yours Truly weighed in at 20st-3lbs...last Thursday 16th I tipped the Scales at 19st-8lbs a loss of 9lbs Embarassed so far I'm keeping to my changed eating habits and adding different foods which are suppose to be good... old habits die hard but I know this is my last chance to be a healthy Corpse when I eventually Kick the Bucket...

Friday Morning last 17th I headed up to Dublin early to continue the "Attic Transformation" and we managed to get the other side completed now the Son has to finish the Electrical work before the Plasterer moves in so all in all it was a successful 2 weeks for everyone...only one drawback I was so tired and stiff each Night after we finished I wasn't in any fit state to do the walk...got home Sunday Afternoon and flopped down on the Sofa.

This Morning I tried to get back into my walking routine with the Dog...didn't realise what 2 Days bending and kneeling and no walks could do to you...it was pure Hell...but I persevered and got the walk done I only hope my PM walk is a little easier...I have a "Back Massager" on my Chair as I type this and its pummelling my back...dunno' if its doing any good but its sure very uncomfortable...

Anyway thats my lot for now...its a lovely crisp Morning here in the NW...hope its as nice in your neck of the Woods...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan 30th...weighed in at 18st-10lbs...loss of 21lbs over 3 weeks...2hrs walk every Day...even the Dog is being called Slim and 3 meals with nothing in between except Fruit if I'm feeling peckish...I've even taken to checking the Purchases now and for the 1st time in ages I'm using Braces to hold my Pants up but I'm waiting til' the final weigh-in before rushing out to buy a new Wardrobe...

Nothing else to report...it's either Windy- Cold- Wet or all 3 to do anything and from this Evenings Weather Report it's to be worse this Weekend... Cool
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well done ! You must be feeling a great sense of achievement....don't stop now ! Eating nothing between meals is the way to go.......it really works. I lost a stone that way last year. Now I'm trying to lose a couple of kilos that went on over Christmas.......blasted chocolates !
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Morning Sive...Thanks for the encouraging words...every little helps...I've been there before when I had a 38'' waist it's now 42'' down from 44''...but this time I'm determined to go even lower and stay that way...my biggest incentive is to screw a few critics who scoffed and sneered when I first suggested that I was doing this.

One Obnoxious Fellow threw down the Gauntlet and offered 5 for every lb lost, this was in front of several People for maximun embarrassment when I accepted his offer gladly he thought for a moment and changed it to 2 per lb. so far he owes 42 and I'm not finished with him yet...latest Feedbacks are that he is keeping very quiet but his Friends are ribbing him all the time...at least St V De Paul will benefit from his big Mouth...

Went out on my walk this Morning at 8.30 just as it began to Rain but thankfully it eased as the walk progressed and stopped at the 1/2 way mark got back at 9.30 and sat under the Gazebo and had my puff and no sign of Denis...best part of the walk...sitting alone for that few Moments of lovely Solitude...

Anyway back to reality...have to Shower and change and bring " Her who must be Obeyed " up to Donegal Town to Shop...heading to Cork shortly so have to stock up on Baby Nappies...found a Shop in Donegal that sells popular Brands at Rockbottom prices so we usually bring a few Box'es with us...Thats all for now...catch you later...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in from the big Smoke... stopped off at our usual Eatery on the way home " The Pantry " in Laghey just outside the Town and had a nibble to eat...my Wife ordered her usual Shepherds Pie and all the Trimmings and for the 1st time ever I ordered a Bowl of Veggie' Soup and 2 slices Brown Bread...

Arrived in Bundoran and into Lidl to stock up on my Salads...Fruits and eventually Home...after unpacking I was planning my PM walk when the Heavens opened and the winds picked up again ...already having several Articles of Clothing drying I was not about to add to the already congested Kitchen so decided to opt for the easy way out and give myself a " Treat " by skipping the walk...some day during the coming week I'll Triple a Daily walk...

Apart from a few flooded Fields and the odd little Stream running down the nearby Boreen our area appears to have escaped the worst of the Weather unlike Galway which seemed to get the brunt of it...anyway nuff ' said I'm nestling down now for the Evening/Night with several DVD's and a roaring Fire to keep me company....Cheers...
Margo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was yesterday actually. I went to Aldi and bought some rasberry canes and some gooseberries to replace the ones that died after moving the fruit cage.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the weight loss Geranimojess, you wont know yourself in a while as the benefits are many fold - apart from having to buy new clothes! Unless you are like me and throw nothing out , that way clothes come back into fashion again and by default I am cool, hip and retro all in one.
I lost 1st 9lbs last summer purely from the effort put into making the vegetable patch and I felt so much better for it. The trouble is that it is too easy to put it back on again over the winter so you are doing it at the right time.
What I found was that if you feel peckish between meals, eat fruit, you get that full feeling without the weight.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
I am cool, hip and retro all in one.

And I'm Hot...Hipless and way, way behind... Embarassed

hI T...Thanks for those words of wisdom...the only time I was anywhere near your discription was all those years ago when Brylcream was sticking your Comb under the Tap Water to give yourself the Elvis look and the Palm of your Hand was used to flatten your Quiff {Fringe}...dont have that problem anymore, nowadays it's closer to the Homer look... Laughing

Only back from my walk...thankfully the Rain held off but the Grey Sky is closing in fast and furious now...it was bitterly cold and the Woolie Hat was a Godsend keeping my Ears warm...did not do so good on this walk my Thighs felt like Tree Trunks...not in the sense of Firm solid Muscle more like 2 old rotten Stumps that would not budge and now I'm sore all over...

As for hanging onto the Clothes when I eventually Slim thats akin to a Wino holding onto a Bottle of Port in case He fails...Nah...it's out with the old and in with the new...the only time I've kept Clothing is when they were not good enough to wear in Public but OK for the Garden...

Nothing else happening here...Oh...just remembered...Denis Wife has a bad case of the Shingles...got onto the Bro-in-Law who has the cure for everything and directed me to a Gent in Rosinver.Co Leitrim...so Denis and I drove over this Morning and returned with the cure...this Gent refused any payment {good sign that He's a true Healer} not even a Donation {we left a few on the Table as He walked out ahead of us} my good Deed for the Day...
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Elvis???

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Who is Elvis???

No idea...my Dad used to tell me about him...
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh ho ho

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got back into the garden yesterday. not so much gardening as it was labour; chopping up the bits of the leylandii too big for the loppers, into stove-friendly pieces. that'll be next year's burning sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 229, 230, 231  Next
Page 10 of 231

Jump to: