Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

Anybody know of any Bloom 2013 discounts ?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: ianpools

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Anybody know of any Bloom 2013 discounts ? Reply with quote

As above. In previous years there has always been buy 1 get 1 free vouchers but I haven't seen any this year.
Dirt Digger
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi foxroxks,
earlier this month I think An Post post offices were distributing vouchers, based in part on which of their services you availed of.
In truth, the weather experience at Bloom can have a devastating effect on the expected footfall; I haven't been since the 1st year, 2007, and the memory still raises a wry smile; bucketing down non-stop, and all the cars having to be towed out of the swamp that started out as a car park; but good business sense would indicate that with the reasonable weather forecast for this year's event, there won't be too many freebies or discounts; it's a matter of make hay while the sun shines, and if the good weather will likely entice a large crowd anyway, there seems little sense in Bord Bia trying to attract a crowd at a discounted loss...
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it every year its a trade show it should be free,
€20 per ticket + parking + coffee expensive day out thats before you buy anything.
OK Im gonna be good and say no ,more on this event.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
I say it every year its a trade show it should be free,
€20 per ticket + parking + coffee expensive day out thats before you buy anything.
OK Im gonna be good and say no ,more on this event.

Your right on your 1st two comments...but dont stay quiet on your 3rd remark about promising to be " good and saying no more "...if its €20 a ticket what will it cost the average Family plus the Exhibitors have to pay to promote their goods so somebody is rubbing their hands in glee at the profits...

Ripoff Ireland is alive and still kicking....
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok how much of it is Irish produce, most of it is imported
1. The floral tent there will be nothing there that has traveled less than 1000 km, from containers, Oasis's and cut flowers.

The exhibition gardens most of the plants here are imported Lavenders, and specimen plants just an example. These gardens are no resemblance to the real thing over planted and over priced for the occasion, even the judges are from overseas, ok that removes the Bias but then the biggest contributors always win as the show needs these more than it needs you.

Nursery stock I already had my rant here, Irish Nurseries?? are agents , middle men for Dutch suppliers, Ok plants in 2lt pots are grown in Ireland but grown on they are imported as liners very litle support for Irish people trying to grow liners.
Bedding plants ok these will be grown in Ireland.

Then you have the ORGANIC food tents give me a break over priced lettuce sandwitches with bread whos flour has been ground using a mill wheel powered by natural waterfall.

Saunas, BBQS, Hammocks, Jacuzzis. Fashion shows , cookery exhibits you get the picture its just not my cup of tea give me a real garden or wood to walk around any day.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh jeeze Greengage, I"ve just received two tickets from my son to go Sunday, I was so looking forward to it! will let you know next week what I think of same.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great i look forward to your review hope im wrong but please let us know and be honest. Hope you enjoy.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
if its €20 a ticket what will it cost the average Family

to be fair, a trip to the cinema costs about €10 a ticket for an adult these days, and there are far, far more transitory costs associated with bloom than with a cinema, which is probably open over 360 days a year. and i'd say their public liability insurance would make you faint.
i was there all day yesterday, but saw less than a quarter of it, i'd say - i was working on a stand.
one thing i will say, it's definitely not a pure garden festival anymore - and would be completely financially unviable if it was. as it is, it's bankrolled by government agencies, so i suspect it doesn't make the sort of profits people assume.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to the National Botanic Gardens Free
A trip to Ashtown Gardens Free
A trip to National Museum free
Chester beaty library free
Farmleigh house and gardens free
Pearse museum
Donkey sanctuary
DSPCA
Farmers markets
Gallery of Photography
all free and entertaining and educational I could go on and on all open 360 days of the year and they also have public liability ins, they above also make no profit as for goverment agencies bankrolling them its YOUR TAX money doesn't grow on trees
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornin Greengage, as promised, my day at blooms. for a start, I have to say we have a great home industery, Cheese, chutney, fruit, honey, ect, Loved their enthusiam and will to suceed, Alas, after that, it was downhill, Okay, if your into flowers,(Which i"m not) some good wild gardens, although, how you contol it in a small garden I"m not sure. Cabbage, onions, lettuse, growing between wild flowers and grass? Must be an educated slug. Overall, have to say, sorry for the small fella, doing his best, Want to win something? Money and contacts. Imagine paying 20quid into a supermarket to buy something? I think I"ll stick to the farmers market.
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont say i didnt tell ya.
Saw comment from trade mag all does not look good for next season.
having said that I met one person who enjoyed it and 10 who refused to go because of the above 20 euros for someone to sell you something you could have looked at for free.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like the RDS years ago, they were cocky too!
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the very cheapest ticket you could buy for chelsea was STG£25; and this only seems to have allowed access late in the day.
we arrived at 10am in bloom on the monday (on tickets we didn't have to pay for); the cheapest equivalent entry in chelsea would have cost STG£55. which is over three times the standard entry price for bloom.

going to an international football match in landsdowne road (a permanent venue which does not have to be built for each match) costs multiple times what a trip to bloom would cost.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really enjoyable day out, even though I had to sit on a bus for 4.5 hrs each way, at €24, just to get there and back.
I saw as much as I wanted to see, talked with some really interesting enthusiasts on their stands and ate my face off for free, 'sampling'. And I bought some delicious cheese! And 'herself' some lovely ear rings.
Ok, the gardens were what you'd expect - 'showy'. But isn't that what it's about? There were still things to be learned, even if only to see what you might not like for yourself. The surprise was that there were any at all, given current circumstances.
And I went home with two plants I wouldn't find locally. There were two others I was keeping my eye open for, but I couldn't find.
I had a good day out and I saw loads of happy families with childer having a great time in a fun, educational, gardening environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: