Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

moving a laburnum

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: moving a laburnum Reply with quote

This is a laburnum i planted about 3 years ago. It is leaning to one side and it is a couple of meters from the back door. I wondered is that too near it seems to grow very quick? Could it be moved to a diferent area of the garden? And if stakes were driven around it now to pul lt it straights would they damage the roots?

daisychain.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  798.98 KB
 Viewed:  3452 Time(s)

daisychain.JPG

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it can be moved but not now move in Oct /March . Unfortunatly it does not look like much of a tree it should have a clear stem up to 2 metres before branches begin it will eventually be a large tree maybe 12 metres tall, it is also pisonous to pets and children if they eat the pods.
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
yes it can be moved but not now move in Oct /March . Unfortunatly it does not look like much of a tree it should have a clear stem up to 2 metres before branches begin it will eventually be a large tree maybe 12 metres tall, it is also pisonous to pets and children if they eat the pods.

Quote:
Unfortunatly it does not look like much of a tree it should have a clear stem up to 2 metres before branches begin
when i bought it was only about a foot tall.

Will it grow large even though ther eis no clear stem up to 2 m before branches?What would be best to do with it? I know about the poison
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you wil get poor angle of attachment of branches whih wil always cause it to lean and they will break off in years to come, You could train in a new leader and start again. removing lower branches
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
I think you wil get poor angle of attachment of branches whih wil always cause it to lean and they will break off in years to come, You could train in a new leader and start again. removing lower branches
Ok thanks. When and how would i start to train in a new leader? Would that mean cutting it all back to near ground? Would i wait till Oct and cut back then move it first? For the rate of growth it is too near the door anyway?
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start now training in the new leader, I would remove all the lower branches except the strongest one This i would train using a large cane, Tie this to the cane and allow it to grow straight, removing all side shots until you have a clear stem approx 2 metres, you will not achieve this overnight, I would then lift it and move it when all the leaves have fallen offf possible November when the ground is not frozen and stake it, removing it will damage some anchor roots but since its only in three years this will not be a problem/
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Could the lower granches be ciut off with a saw? Would i leavve a n inch or so of branch?
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes or they could be removed with a loppers close to the main stem, try not to tear the main stem when removing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: