Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Our Garden Centres are Struggling

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Our Garden Centres are Struggling Reply with quote

Here is an article worth reading from today's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/everything-is-very-far-from-rosy-in-the-garden-1.1399394

And then I think it would be a decent gesture from every one of us to buy an extra tray of plants or whatever this week, to support our favourite local garden centre. Instead of chocolates or a bottle of wine as a gift to a friend, go and buy a plant.....
And let the supermarkets do what they do best.....fleece us ( and the farmers ) while selling us our groceries....... they really don't need the extra few bob for those gardening supplies too.

We need to help each other at times like these, and gardeners are naturally generous, so how about it folks.........

By the way, I am not in the business, nor do I know anyone in the business, but would be devastated to lose my local garden centre, and hopefully that won't happen.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive...I agree with your sentiments and nothing would please me more than to do as you suggest...but lets face it a lot of them are pricing themselves out of the Market...the Celtic Tiger is still roaring as far as some of them are concerned.

My supplier is his own grower from Cradle to walking...he stands over every Plant he has sold me and advises me...several times he has refused to sell me certain Plants because he knows they are not suitable for my area...no Garden Center has ever refused me a sale even when I pointed out I was near the sea.

Each of my Plants are 2-5 Euro cheaper than my local and having purchased several Hundred over the past few years you can see why I'd be foolish to shop elsewhere.

I'm not getting a special price from him I pay the same as the Person beside me pays... every plant I've purchased has flourished...

This Lad and his Wife both work the Business and travel around several Markets every week selling their plants...I know and trust him....I never got that close to a Garden Center owner...........Dave
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree they are still pricing themselves out of the market why must they all get 100% mark up and some 100% + vat, I know this from being in the business supplying garden centres, Next time Im looking for a job ill start the 2 garden plant,
Its easy to get plants for free if you know where to look, this season we have dumped loads of herbaceous plants because we couldnt give them away, saw one person paying 8 for one single Echium last week when we dumped 30 and another chap was pleading with someone to take his off him as he didnt want to dump them.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking but true...I would be the 1st to support anything local but in reality I'd be flushing Money down the Toilet...another example...my local Petrol Station is selling Diesel at 1.51E per litre a few mile down the Road its 1.45E...I queried the difference and was told "Thats the price".

Sorry Sive ...your intentions are to be admired but I'm afraid your facing an uphill struggle on this occasion.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
I agree they are still pricing themselves out of the market why must they all get 100% mark up and some 100% + vat, I know this from being in the business supplying garden centres, Next time Im looking for a job ill start the 2 garden plant,
Its easy to get plants for free if you know where to look, this season we have dumped loads of herbaceous plants because we couldnt give them away, saw one person paying 8 for one single Echium last week when we dumped 30 and another chap was pleading with someone to take his off him as he didnt want to dump them.

I know its to late now but just a polite suggestion if that ever happens again,I've no doubt plenty of Members on here would have only been to delighted to take those plants even at cost price, everybody would have been happy.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:

Can you dump them on this forum instead of the tip?

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
another example...my local Petrol Station is selling Diesel at 1.51E per litre a few mile down the Road its 1.45E...I queried the difference and was told "Thats the price".

i heard a segment on the radio (one of the few times i've listened to joe duffy) where they were talking about petrol prices, and someone rang in to say there were two petrol stations a mile apart in limerick, with a difference in price of 10c per litre; and they were both selling the same brand of petrol.
cue lots of 'oh that's terrible' from joe, until ten minutes later, the owner of the more expensive petrol station rang in to explain that the other station were owned by the large multinational oil company, and were selling their petrol retail for cheaper than they were selling it to him wholesale, in an obvious bid to eliminate the competition.
i've heard a similar story from a camera shop i frequent, where one of the big names in the camera world offer bulk discounts so big, (irish) online retailers can retail for cheaper than the small shops can get at wholesale prices.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, the garden centre we frequent has started selling cuttings of the plants they have planted in their own display areas for about 4 a pop.
Roisin Dubh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what would be good if there was a sharing of info on good garden centres. I often find that while there are many garden centres not all offer good quality plants or value for money. This is especially frustrating if you are not familiar with an area.
I am going to Dublin/Kildare area in a few weeks time and have been looking for a few garden centres to browse. Apart from the obvious ones there is very little info anywhere. There seems to be lots of info on wholesalers but very little else.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ypur in Kildare Try Dunshane nursery it is a small garden centre with some unusual plants now dont expect a garden center like the lifestyle ones you know.
Blessington garden center near hollywood and Guilfoyles Kildare town.
In Dublin Mount venus Rathfarnham unusual stuff but can be a bit expensive, Also
June Blake outside Tallagh near Blessington.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ever in Ballyshannon on Sundays nip along to the local Market behind the Bus Depot / Fire Station as you enter the Market you will see a Garden Stall on your left go past that one and look to your left and you will see another along side a Railings...ask for George and he will look after you...

A very knowledgeable and pleasant Man to deal with...

Absolutely no connections or interests in his Business....only his manner and very good prices.....
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was out in tully's nurseries in north dublin yesterday. impressed with the sheer size of the place, not so impressed with their prices.
they were proclaiming that a lot of their plants were propagated on site - if so, i'd have expected hostas cheaper than 9 a pop...
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of nurseries claim they propagate their plants but most buy in liners from the continent and re-pot them into one liter or two liter pots and grow them on for a season then sell them, there are very few real nurseries in Ireland most are agents or middle men for continental suppliers, a lot of these nurseries will not even buy liners from Irish companies they claim quality is an issue buy the real problem is credit they get 3 months from foreign suppliers and they can do this because of the volume there is one agent supplying most of the lners into Ireland and a couple of Italian suppliers selling specimen plants and Herbs. (Bays, Lavanders) but you still pay Vat on these in nurseries and garden centers as they claim they are not sold as herbs.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
i was out in tully's nurseries in north dublin yesterday. impressed with the sheer size of the place, not so impressed with their prices.
they were proclaiming that a lot of their plants were propagated on site - if so, i'd have expected hostas cheaper than 9 a pop...

5 each or 5 for 20 in Ballyshannon...big difference there...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Just letting ye know. Reply with quote

Rory Gallagher Weekend takes place June Bank Holiday 1st / 3rd in Ballyshannon so just letting ye know there will be no Market that Sunday... Business as usual 9th June...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: