Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Herb growing in Ireland

Damage to new bay leaves

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Damage to new bay leaves Reply with quote

I have a Laurus nobilis in a pot that's been neglected for a few years. This spring I cut it back hard and left it in my conservatory. Last week I noticed a few new shoots so I moved it outside to harden them off.
However, yesterday I noticed that the new leaves are turning black and are dried out. I assume this is wind damage as I live on an exposed mountain top. It's very windy here with no prevailing wind (it comes from all cardinal points, all the time)!

Can someone confirm my suspicions or suggest another explanation?

035.JPG
 Description:
Damage to new bay leaves
 Filesize:  237.51 KB
 Viewed:  2321 Time(s)

035.JPG

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like frost damage,
Unfortunately for us it is a Mediterranean plant and not native of Ireland It will always struggle unless in a warm courtyard and sheltered from the wind.
Now someone will tell us here "I have one in a wind tunnel under a gutter getting soaked all the time and Producing berries and Im supplying the local nursery with cuttings," Not true the only time they look good is when they are imported and on the shelves its down hill after that. Just like the Ligustrum balls you see for sale.
Sive

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops Greengage, you're not going to like this.......I have a perverse bay tree that is more than just surviving, ( we live on a horribly windswept hillside )and in fact is looking quite cheerful after this awful spring too !.....up against a wooden fence, and now a plump and happy 5ft+
However, I bought the original tiny plant from a very eccentric herb-grower whose stock had proved its worth in difficult/exposed Wicklow Mts. conditions so that is probably the answer to everything in life,
Choose your parents carefully.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See told you all Laughing
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've about a dozen bay seedlings that I grew from seed. These are doing quite well. They were picked from a healthy bay hedge growing outdoors in Dublin. Maybe their Irish origins explain why they're doing so well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Herb growing in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: