Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Aldi trees

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member11809

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Aldi trees Reply with quote

Trees from aldi come wrapped in plastic with soil around the root. Is that considered bare root? Or potted i.e. wrapped instead of a pot?

Can they be planted when they break dormancy ?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're bare root. The compost and wrapping is supposed to stop the roots from drying out and dying. Pot grown would mean that they have been grown on in a pot for at least a year. It's very late to be planting them, but if they're cheap, and you are willing to take a big risk on them dying, do it quickly, and pick the specimens with the wettest, heaviest wrapping, the largest root system, and as many buds as possible. .
member11809

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Yes, they're bare root. The compost and wrapping is supposed to stop the roots from drying out and dying. Pot grown would mean that they have been grown on in a pot for at least a year. It's very late to be planting them, but if they're cheap, and you are willing to take a big risk on them dying, do it quickly, and pick the specimens with the wettest, heaviest wrapping, the largest root system, and as many buds as possible. .
though some say you can plant at any time if prepared to water them regularly?
I remove the compost and soak the roots a few mins and then plant in new compost
john1412
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not trying to put a stop to your ideas, i dunno what the trees are like you got, but Aldi have had them trees in their shops for over two months now and most of the ones Iíve seen are either dead or have had leaves and died off in the shops, if you haven't already got them i would recommend you don't get them and spend the extra Ä15-Ä20 on a good healthy tree from a nursery or just wait until November or January Lidi and Aldi normally have trees in again that time of year, just a suggestion
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I've given up on buying garden stuff from Lidl and Aldi.

Their stuff is below the standard of garden centres and it either doesnt work or I wish I'd have just bought something good from proper garden centre. I really think I've wasted a good bit of money buying their stuff, no matter how cheap I thought it was at the time.

Even this year I bought a few fruit trees and plants and planted them out in the winter when I got them, so they should still have been dormant. I think 1 has shown signs of growing...whereas I've a couple of trees beside them that are flying it that I got in GCentres. I knew I was taking a chance buying them but I said I'd do it as an experiment even though I've been burned by them in the past... and I know what I'll be doing in the future...
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="member11809"][quote="tippben"]Yes, they're bare root. The compost and wrapping is supposed to stop the roots from drying out and dying. Pot grown would mean that they have been grown on in a pot for at least a year. It's very late to be planting them, but if they're cheap, and you are willing to take a big risk on them dying, do it quickly, and pick the specimens with the wettest, heaviest wrapping, the largest root system, and as many buds as possible. .[/quote]though some say you can plant at any time if prepared to water them regularly?
I remove the compost and soak the roots a few mins and then plant in new compost[/quote]

That's for container GROWN plants, that have been fed and watered correctly. You CAN plant those in leaf, but they don't exactly like it, and you do have to take extra care. What you're talking about is the equivalent of bringing somebody home from the ICU, where the doctors and nurses have been paying no attention for weeks, shove em in a new bed, and expect them to be ok as long as you keep bringing em tea... Bare root in the winter is a 9/10 chance. In mid May, 3/10. From a supermarket in mid May? 0.5/10.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from now on froget bare rooted plants too late even the worst chancers in nurseries would not sell you bare rooted material now.
Olwas2013
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Aldi/Lidl plant failures. Reply with quote

I'm never buying from Aldi or Lidl plants in my life again because all the plants I got from Lidl or Aldi and they all died on me. I got a Japanese Maple Crimson Queen and it died under the right conditions. I got a bare root Rose and it died and again it was planted correctly and it was put under the right conditions. I had one success though. I got a spiral bay tree and it seems to be surviving but I'll update if it dies on me. I am just sharing my fails with Aldi and Lidl. I am just sharing my concerns with Aldi and Lidl plants. Try them out and see for yourselves. Confused Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: