Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Seed trays

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Hosta Frequency Kenneth
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Seed trays Reply with quote

I tried a few seed trays this year, they're a bit of a pain i think. Dividing out hundreds of little seedlings is no fun. Can you just take them out by clumps? There must be an easier way! Individual modules are better, but not when there's average 1200 seeds in the pack!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you plant that will help answer the question.
It would be better to plant three to five seedlings per module and thin out the weaker ones, but 1200 is a lot to transplant
Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted a good few different flowers, echinacea, Gypsophila, lobelia, alyssum. I think part of the problem is that I sowed them in march and april, and because of the cold I spent a lot of time also moving them in and out...hardening off. I got a cold frame from aldi but after the first windy night I found it in the housing estate down the road!

Is it all worth the hassle? Plugs seem like a better option but they don't seem so common at the moment. Maybe they're on the increase though, I actually saw potato plugs in Ballyseedy last week...
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for plugs go to mellifont and get them posted no prob.
The lobelia, alyssum. can be planted in clumps the rest i would plant individually.
Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Mellifont might be a good option alright, lots of stuff on the catalogue.
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i also sow alot of flowers each year, whole polytunnel, dont be dishearten , its a learning process, which will give u huge enjoyment, that plugs wont. the trick is to sort out your seeds, dont sow more than you have space for Very Happy .then size of seed, then if it needs to be sown on surface , or beneath, time to germinate, etc. to each seed tray, 5 rows, buy a label machine, best buy you ever do, and label each row, before all this, put seed compost in tray and water, and the when dry, unto water tray, you can buy a water tray in garden centres, the bigger the better. then when true leaves appear, these come after seedling leaves, you know, they look different, put into 24 pk trays, small flowers you can put 2 or 3 together, then when getting beyond this, into large 6 pk trays, like you see in shops, then put into cold frames or out during day , in at night for 1 week ,feed with Phostrogen, find this cheap and the best, as good for seedlings, i have 4 years of this and love it, and improving all the time, anyone that visits are impress enough. things i would change , are i might abandon seed trays, as more work transplanting, but, they save on room, so there , you have it. also sow at april, and june. so plenty of new plants to replace tired ones, seed needs to be current always. remember you have to have room in the garden for them Very Happy or as i do also, i love to give alittle, this way people give me plenty of empty pots and 6 pk trays and goodies Laughing do not be dishearten the rewards are hugh, Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: