Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Griselinia hedge failing

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
087nancy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Griselinia hedge failing Reply with quote

Hi All,
I planted aover 200 bareroot griselinia plants in January. I knew I was taking a risk planting them as it's a windy site and Griselinia is not as hardy as other evergreen hedging. However, as I love the colour and denseness of the leaves and dislike laurel (which I figured was my only other option), I took that chance.
Unfortunately the plants just don't seem to be taking off at all, most likely I imagine because of frost and wind. A lot of them are yellowing with some leaves and stems turning brown and I'm fairly sure that some of them are dead.
Is there anything to be done or should I just leave them and hope for the best?
Thanks.
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of checking out on the Griselinia on another Forum and it seems your problem is rampant among other Griselinia owners...the majority of whom have their plants in between 4 and 8 yrs...the general agreement is that the Weather is the main culprit and the recent cold spells which are predicted for future Winters are the Death Knell for this plant... 10-12 C is the limit they can take...

Several people described exactly what your experiencing and in the end they cut them down to the stumps and planted Laurels instead....one person in Cork tried several Centers for the plant and was basically told there not stocking them any more...

Another person described how her plants " Died " then that same Summer came back to life only to relapse that Autumn and gasped the last gasp before finally " Kicking the Bucket "...They all agreed it was a lovely plant but not worth the effort any more...
087nancy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad The response I expected but didn't want to see!
Since I first posted the hedge has actually started growing and is a lot greener, obviously enjoying the good weather. Out of 210 plants about 6 look dead. Having said that, a couple that I thought were finished have started to bud! I have a neighbour with a fine, healthy griselinia hedge and I'm pinning my hopes on that. If I could start over I would plant Laurel but I'm just going to make do with what I have and hope for mild winters for a few years (here's hoping!)
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong....several Threads stated that their plants went through a period of Burials and Resurrections before finally giving up... in some cases over 2 Seasons and the effort the plants put into trying to survive weakened them each time...

Dont give up hope just yet...nature does it's own thing in it's own time and way... good luck anyway and lets know how they get on....
087nancy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my Griselinia hedge- what's left of it.... Mad
Out of the 210 plants I can only find 2, yes TWO, healthy ones. Loads have died and the rest are clearly on the way out. The stems turn yellow then brown from the bottom up and then the leaves turn brown and die. I am gutted at the amount of work and money I put into this hedge only to see it die in front of my eyes. All I can do is put it down to experience and advise others against planting it.
I'm thinking of replacing it with Laurel. Is Portuguese Laurel as hardy as ordinary Laurel?? Should I just go for Beech even though I'm not mad about how it looks in winter. Advice would be very much appreciated for this disheartened gardener Sad
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only offer my Sympathies...I often wondered how things turned for you... sadly it was not to be...

Lusitanica Angustifolia or Portoguese Laurel is described as a hardy Plant in moist well drained fertile soil...a slower grower than the common Laurel and suitable for exposed Sites...Barrys Nurseries in Inch. Killeagh.Cork is selling bare root Laurels now but I'm sure a Local Nursery or Centre will advise you...

Continue to update us...in a few years time it will be but a distant Memory...
michael brenock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griselinia littoralis native to Australia and New Zealand. Ireland is one of very few countries where it is used as a hedge. Weather is seldom the direct or immediate cause of the death of plants. More likely the cause is a disease, either Phythopthora or Armilaria, Honey fungus (Bootlace). Inclement weather will speed the spread and development. I can recommend Barrys for good value in hedging plants,
michael brenock

087nancy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael and Geranimojess, thanks for your comments....I looked at Barry's website, very good site and so much on offer. No bareroot Laurel in stock at the moment but I'll have to wait anyway both to save up and because my husband will leave me if I ask him to plant 200 more plants! I'm annoyed with myself because I went against advice to plant the Griselinia in the first place but it's a lesson learned. Everytime I look out the window and see it get annoyed Mad
087nancy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the saga of the griselinia.......Quite a few of the plants died and I pulled them up but I wish I hadn't been so hasty as the few 'dead' ones I did leave in the ground started sprouting leaves! The rest have lots of new growth and although still spindly and paler than I think they should be, they seem to be coming along ok. Fingers crossed they get through Winter.
To be honest I think I just didn't water them enough during the hot Summer. Rookie mistake I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: