Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Apple trees

Most Recent Posts Rosa Rugosa Hedge
Last post: tagwex
...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Native American Diaries...
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this used for
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
robbie checker
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Apple trees Reply with quote

I have 4 apple trees, some sown about 5- 6 years at this stage so they are fairly developed. Crops have been very poor and what fruit there was in recent years had scab on it. I used Bayer Systhane Fungus Fighter last year which cost 10 (ordered from the UK) but it was in a small bottle which I used in 2 sprayings. I noticed when spraying potatoes later in the year that Dithane is also used for fruit scab. Has anyone here used Dithane on apple trees and is it effective for scab?

My father gets great crops of apples from his trees. He puts grass around the trees when he cuts the lawn and he thinks this is the reason he gets such good crops. I have used 10-10-20 the last 2 years. I think last year was a bad year for fruit everywhere due to late frosts but have a good lot of blossom at the moment so hope we are finished with the worst of the frosts. The next few days look fairly mild at night on met.ie. I live in Co. Offaly and the soil is very black (peaty) in nature which is great for vegatables but I've heard it may not be so good for fruit trees.
djh

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the trees in a shaded position?
robbie checker

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Apple trees Reply with quote

The neighbours evergreen (leylandi) hedge is to one side but its a good 20 foot away from them. The trees are spread out in an "orchard" area in the lawn - have 5 apple trees in total, 1 is red love which I sowed last year and the other 4 are bramley, james grieve, elstar and one other which I cannot recall at the moment. I also have a plum tree and pear tree which is 2 varieties grafted onto the 1 tree - 1 is conference and 1 other variety. I keep under the trees clear by cutting a circle with a half moon spade and weed frequently around the trees.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bit of a rush at moment but some varieties need two apple trees to pollinate and some need three not sure about yours as for scab check out RHS for info.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=81
will get back to you if no one else jumps in
djh

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall are the leylandii and are they on the south side? At 21st March the sun is only at 37 degrees at midday and apple trees need full sun for most of the day.
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in westmeath, similar soil and scab too, full sun, i potash , manure mulch, and use dithiane, no avail, i was told to spray this year when leaves are budding, but i think the wind has alot to do with it, as burning the leaves , expose site.
robbie checker

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, our site is exposed too and we get a good lot of wind.

Regarding the height of the leylandi, they are between 7 and 8 foot tall. Would have thought they give a bit of shelter and they are far enough away not to affect the sun on the trees. The Elstar and James Grieve should pollinate each other so I don't think that is the problem and I do get apples, its just the quality and quantity is very poor. Maybe its takes a few years for the trees to mature and we need a good year. Perhaps as this is a late year and there have been no frosts the last few nights that this may turn out to be a good year for fruit as late frosts got a lot of my blossoms last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: