Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

West Clare Garden

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lar
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: West Clare Garden Reply with quote

Hi,
I am hoping someone here can help with a question about soil conditions in West Clare.We(wife and I) are hoping to buy a house in the area and with one house we are interested in,set on 1/2 acre, the garden seemed unusually wet.The grass was cut so it wasn't so much a wet grass situation but when walked on, very soggy underfoot,with what seemed like a lot of water and with a mossy content.The grass also had a reed content which I think is an indication of boggy land which the surrounding farm land is.Are there plants that can be used to soak water as it were or would anyone know is there much involved in making it into a decent lawn even?Or is it a lost cause? I know this is very long winded but would appreciate any help anyone can give.Regards
Noknowgrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the whole plot wet? Poorly draining soil won't be cured by plants if its very bad installing proper drainage is the only cure. Here is a link to a thread that might help
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1239.html
We looked at a house a couple of years ago on half a acre with wet ground and it turned out to be the soak pit for the septic tank had failed. I'm not saying the place your looking at has the same problem but its something to watch out for.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole secret of drainage is the level of the outflow. If the surrounding farmland is boggy then it is likely that the water has no lower level to drain to or the flow is badly impeded. To solve that, your neighbours would have to be involved. West Clare has an awful lot of boggy land. Sad
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Lar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Noknowgrow and kindredspirit.The gardens to the rear of the houses on the road would appear to have been part of a large field at one stage and what is remaining of the field behind the houses appears to be boggy with that type of grasses and plenty of reeds.Any draining would surely have to be directed into the fields and even if the farmer was willing to facilitate, it can hardly happen for blow ins from Dublin to be fair.What is worrying is that the front garden is not any better and that is adjacent to the road and so it would appear that the whole 1/2 acre with exception of the house(hopefully) is boggy and I suspect beyond saving in the context of having a garden.I don't think we could even walk down to a clothes line without wellies.I think that even if the house were to pass the architect's report, the garden and the condition of it would prevent us buying.I just wanted to see could I be convinced otherwise but I think I know the truth and have to face up to it.If I thought it could be drained properly and at a reasonable cost, we could do it.I'd be delighted with any further opinions
Noknowgrow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about having a chat with the neighbour he will have first hand knowledge of the water table and the soil type. If its a case of a heavy soil it can be improved with time and a bit of graft but if its a water table issue it's a lost cause. I'm a total novice we moved from a large housing estate to a 3 acre small holding a little over a year ago and our spot had 2 years of untouched growth on it but with a bit of graft and a whole lot of reading on here it's coming together. What I'm trying to say is if the house is right and the garden can be improved don't be afraid to get stuck in belive me there is nothing like it and having a chat with the neighbour might give you all the info you need to make that all important decision.
Lar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Noknowgrow.Good advice re the neighbour.I think that having been an estate person in Dublin for years, I now need to start thinking differently.The land in the area is soggy/boggy and there is no point in moving to that area, looking for all the wonderful benefits and not being willing to accept the other aspects.On thinking about it, perhaps it would be better if we worked with what is there and plant accordingly instead of spending large wodges of money we don't have trying to make it a lawn with borders.
There is a large patio area( and I think I know why now) and if we can use the rest as a meadow type area, with even a path for a clothesline, it will be fine.We have an offer accepted on the house and it's 1/2 acre and when I am there with the architect for the property condition inspection,I will talk to him and the neighbours about it.Once it's not affecting the house( and people have been building on this land for years with no apparent trouble) and there is no issues with the septic tank, it's a change of thinking is what's required.I think Wink
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, lawns with borders are so yesterday. Think differently. Make little mounds and hollows. Don't cut the grass and let wild flowers take over. You could have a "Hobbit in wellingtons" home garden! Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend getting in touch with Carmen, who is the West Clare representative for GIY Ireland. She's familiar with the land. Go to the GIY website, as I'm not happy to give out her phone number so publicly.
Lar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tippben.I have looked on the GIY site but can't seem to find Carmen.Could you help again with where I would find her? Kind regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: