Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Cucumber confusion

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
carma
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Cucumber confusion Reply with quote

Can anyone please clear this up for me, I have read about growing cucumbers on several sites, mainly to find out what is the best means of support to grow them on, but also to get any tips available. On some sites it says to pluck out the male flower because if pollination takes place it will make the fruit bitter and hard, on the other site it tell you to give Mother nature a helping hand by pollinating with a brush to maximise fruit production!!!!! Then it says protect plants from direct sunlight as it will damage it then on the other site it says to plant where the plant will receive max sunlight!!!! Does anyone know which is best???? Confused
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much confusion on the internet!

Keep things simple (this is how I grow them and i get plenty!). Once they get to 4-6 inches high, I plant them out in the soil in my tunnel/greenhouse. I just push a long cane (6-8ft) into the ground until it's steady, and then loosely tie the plant to the cane and let it grow up the cane. Repeat after every foot of growth or so. Never had problems in full sun.

Once there are flying insects in your tunnel/greenhouse then you are grand. I've never had to hand pollinate them. You'll be sick of cucumbers by the end of the summer Very Happy
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had a problem with the sun either, though they do grow better in polytunnels than glass house's, for some unknown reason, think its humility. in ground or pots, does'nt matter , as long as they get what they need, feed and attention. some say, your better to not let more than 3 leaves per branch, but i don't fuss too much, keep lower cucumbers off soil as they get mouldly, i put a bit of slate, does the job. i use a bit of 8mm rope, tied from above, and twist the stem around this as its grows every 9 to 12" of growth, nettle and tomatoe feed at right times,some people feed their plants, every day, saw this with a pro on tv, best cucumbers ive seen, but just watch tell tale signs , like yellowness of the leaves.you get female flowers only too so dont worry about that to much, leave door or window open.
carma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: cucumber confusion Reply with quote

Smile Thanks folks I will keep it simple. I should just get off the computer and do some work! Smile
davidk
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cold out there now to do much.
avs0020

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful of the stems - prickly!!
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people mostly grow these indoors in tunnels and greenhouses?

I've a few of these in pots in my greenhouse but don't really have space for growing them fully in there (growing chillies and tomatoes instead). I was planning on growing against a sheltered south west facing wall from the end of May. I thought courgettes and cucumbers were similar in habit?, had courgettes coming out my ears last year and they were planted near where I'm thinking of putting the cucumbers this year.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never grown them, as we hardly ever eat them. I think they probably need the extra heat, but if we get a hot summer, you never know! My bigger concern is that courgette and cucumber are both cucurbits, so you should really find a different place for them.
davidk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm going to try two of them in the polytunnel. Would I be better off putting them in the center of the tunnel away from the doors as it should be warmer there.

Last edited by davidk on Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
carma

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ohh why should you not put your cucurbits together. I had plans to keep them all around the same place in my greenhouse (which may I add is tiny) and I had planned to put the butternut squashes in as well!!!
Sneachta

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carma wrote:
oh ohh why should you not put your cucurbits together. I had plans to keep them all around the same place in my greenhouse (which may I add is tiny) and I had planned to put the butternut squashes in as well!!!

I think tippben means not plant courgette one year followed by cucumber the next in the same place, crop rotation and all that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: