Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Help needed Moss killer applied and think I have burnt grass

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Blowin
Introduction
Last post: Jim wolohan
2 plants to ID
Last post: Bill2015
Small Urban Garden Re-design - Suggestions appreciated
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
michelle_conn
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Help needed Moss killer applied and think I have burnt grass Reply with quote

Hi All

I used Westland lawn feed and weed and moss killer . I didn't read the bag properly. The lawn was mowed on Friday and I applied the moss killer on saturday, later that night it rained.
Now the garden smells like rotting seaweed which is normal, not sure if I overdid it on the application of the moss killer.
Half the garden is now brown/black it was quite badly covered in moss.
I know I have to rake the moss in 7-14 days, will I need to reseed the patches?
Anything I can apply to make it look better? I was told by someone after the blackness will last for weeks? Any help on this much appreciated.
Thanks Michelle[/b]

Last edited by michelle_conn on Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the wet weather we have had this past year I also have serious problems with moss, It is recommended that it be applied at about 10grm per mtr sq.
so what does it do,
It provides the essential trace element iron to the lawn and because we no longer burn coal it applies sulpher to the lawn,
Sulphate of Iron is not sold as a moss killer but it does do just that it also acidifys the soil, now this is supposed to be bad for the worms but I have not noticed and effect on the ones that travel through my lawn. Broad leaved weeds will get scorched so no problem there, do not spill it on hard surfaces or expensive patios it will stain these.
So your problem, the smell is natural it does smell like seaweed, Your lawn is probably gone black this is a good sign moss is dying. I would not be too worried about over application it will eventually wash out, I scarified mine with a scarifier last weekend and removed loads and loads and loads of moss and thach I looks a little sadbut will recover, if you have bald patches I would reseed these or scatter lawn seed over all the lawn and leave for a couple of weeks before mowing, I will give mine another application in the Autumn and re scarify then overseed and leave over winter.
michelle_conn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greengage

Many thanks for your reply. I've never used moss killer before. Thanks for all your tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: