Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Spacing between climbers and heathers

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ails
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Spacing between climbers and heathers Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much space I should leave between climbers. Im planting climbing roses clematis montana and ivy ? Also between heathers? Thanks.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,the clematis montana alone will need quite a bit of space....say 6-10 ft. Not sure about the roses, maybe the labels will give you their spread, as they vary widely. They will all look strange when first planted, but nothing is worse than realising too late that they are planted too close.
ails

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sive. I'm planting a few different things as I think clematis is fairly bare from autum to spring. Hope I'm doing right and I won't over plant. I don't want to have to move them in the furure but I want the wall covered sooner rather than later.
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the base of the clematis will always always bare, so you can plan some extra planting there.... don't worry, the wall may look bare-ish for the first year or two, but you'll be laughing at how you were worrying about it when the plants really take off and grow like triffids ! The ivy can be slow, but it's worth it.
ails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sive. Any recommendations for what would look nice at its feet?
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on how much space you have to fill...if you want a perennial, a geranium would do the job nicely, flowering after the clematis. If you need something bigger like a shrub, a hebe or cistus would be good. A huge amount of choice out there and you would have to take into account what other colours you will have in the climbing roses.
ails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Sive. I'm a novice to all this so your help is hugely valuable and appreciated. I have three regal pelargonium geranuims would they be good do you think? I'll have to look up the other two you mentioned as I don't know them.
ails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just googled them quickly both beautiful plants. Is there a particular variety of each that are common to the Irish garden and which grow well here?
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we used to ( wrongly ) call geraniums many years ago are actually pelargoniums. My recommendation was, instead, for herbacious geraniums....a family of plants that should be in every garden as they are so useful. One of the best known ones is Geranium Johnson's Blue....which becomes a glorious mound of mauve-blue flowers for weeks in the summer. But there are many others.
There are many types of hebe, and they seem to do well in our climate,they are evergreen and make lovely neat mounds, so look good all year, but it depends what size/leaf colour you feel would be right.
Cistus would be a good choice if your bed gets a lot of sun but again, you would have to do some research as there are many types and some could be too large for what you need.
You say you are a novice and I know how overwhelming it can be to know where to start, but the internet is a brilliant resource:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/
http://www.garden.ie/default.aspx

and regular visits to a good garden centre can be very helpful in getting to know plants. We are all somewhere along the "beginners" spectrum....few of us are experts, you just learn by doing and making loads of mistakes.
The main thing is to enjoy your garden and do it your way.....
ails

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Sive it sounds like you have faith me! Thank you so much and the clarification around the geraniums is great. I'll spend some time on this as last year I had to move loads of plants as I put them in the wrong place or too close etc. I'm learning from my mistakes!! I really do enjoy being out planting and that will keep me interested. Thanks again for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: