Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Growing Laurus nobilis (bay leaf) tree from seed

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Growing Laurus nobilis (bay leaf) tree from seed Reply with quote

I recently got some Laurus nobilis seeds on ebay and am a little put off by the instructions.
They say that i need to sow them on top of damp compost at a constant 21C for germination to occur.

I have a greenhouse but not a propagator so am wondering if this is going to be a rather pointless endeavour. I don't have a hot press either to stick them in.

The plants are quite expensive to buy in the likes of Woodies so I was hoping to save a few euro growing from seed. Should I abandon ship and just prepare to fork out for an established plant?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a challenge! I think you'd need some source of heat, but seeing as you already have the seeds, I'd try anyway. You can get plants in 1 litre pots reasonably cheaply, which although small, would give you several years headstart on a plant grown from seed.
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you split an established Bay down through the stem if you can make sure there are roots on both sides?

Was wondering could this be an option if you knew someone who had a mature tree...
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not! You'd wreck them! Here: http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=251 are alternatives- looks like softwood cuttings, or layering, but if you could find an established tree sending up root suckers, you could dig on of those and propagate that way.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sowed the seed and bought another small plant on ebay.
If the seeds grow it'll be a bonus, if not, its not the end of the world.
The greenhouse hasn't a spare inch of space at this stage for more stuff given the weather, I should have just bought the plant in the first place!
If the seeds grow thats my Christmas presents sorted out for the my father and sister around Xmas 2016 or so !
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew Laurus nobilis from seed last year. I picked the seeds from a bay hedge down the road, and planted the seeds just beneath the soil surface. I left the pots on an electric propagator for weeks. They eventually germinated and are growing slowly. I have about a dozen now, and they're putting forth new leaves at present.

I conducted one experiment to see whether there was more success with or without the thin flesh of the seed. None of those planted with the flesh germinated! Most of those with the flesh removed germinated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: