Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

soil temp

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: soil temp Reply with quote

wow, i was preparing soil for carrots today, my hands were frozen and numb by the end, and its only a 8x4 raise bed. needless to say, i didnt sow them, will wait another week. at lease the soil is prepare, did you ever see a year like it.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitter today, grass still not growing and nothing moving in the garden, even birds slow nest building.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
bitter today, grass still not growing and nothing moving in the garden, even birds slow nest building.

The blooming magpies stole/ripped asunder my hanging basket lining to make their nests the cheeky so and so's!

Nothing growing here either, supposed to warm up next week, fingers and toes crossed.
Dirt Digger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, and it is a BIG if mind you, the temperature climbs into double figures at the weekend as forecast to do, boy oh boy, there'll be some activity on every allotment plot and in every garden and on every patch of winter weary dirt right across the country as everyone with a hint of green in their fingers tries to play catch-up for the frozen hiatus of the last 4 weeks.
As for myself, it'll be parsnips, then carrots, then beetroot and summer turnips. all the roots...
I've managed to germinate the celeriac in a seed tray over the last 3 weeks and once these are acclimatised over the next 2 weeks they'll also be put to bed outside, and hopefully, hopefully, once we all get some seed into the warming earth, and feel the late spring sun on the back of our necks and noggins, the ides of the miserable March of 2013 will quickly become a fading memory...
NDB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything I have planted out has a double layer of fleece over it. Much like myself when I did it.
Dirt Digger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: soil temp Reply with quote

pollen jim wrote:
wow, i was preparing soil for carrots today, my hands were frozen and numb by the end, and its only a 8x4 raise bed. needless to say, i didnt sow them, will wait another week. at lease the soil is prepare, did you ever see a year like it.
#

jim, I think it would be fair to say that very few of us have seen a year like it.
According to Met Eireann it has been the coldest March on record in many parts of Ireland since they began keeping records just over 70 years ago. But many parts of northern and central Europe have indicated that they also are experiencing unseasonally record breaking low temperatures for the month of March, and some of these countries; Germany, The Czech Republic, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, and Great Britain have records which date back slightly longer, and in some cases and in some parts ( Germany especially) the month of March 2013 was officially the coldest March in 137 years...
So, although the recent prolonged cold spell has hampered a lot of plans for the gardener and the farming community, the hope is that we can say we have experienced a once in a lifetime event, and that perhaps next spring, things may just return to a semblance of normality, and we'll have a March full of intermittent squally showers, and glancing patches of promised summer-blues, but most importantly, a stream of Atlantic rain-bearing weather from the west and south-west,,, oh yes! never more will we complain about those rain bearing though generally much milder westerlies,,,

pollen jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep not even a swallow,yes its very unseasonal, but when i saw forecast i went and planted the carrots, and prepare the cauliflower and brocolli beds with manure for i guess they be ready in about 5 weeks, spuds went down sunday, my tomatoes and cucumbers are 8" high, cant get the corn to germinate at all except 1, will try the cling film job. sure its a real bollocks everywhere dirt digger, but its going to explode so hang on to your forks boys, i grow loads of flowers too, so in the garden till october boys
allotment man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bit the bullet on Tuesday and sowed my carrots, beetroot and turnips along with a few scallions. It was still cold, but sure look they are in the soil. If it was good enough for the tillage men to have the barley sowed it good enough for me!! Very Happy

Although i have onion sets sowed for the last 4 weeks and not a hint of growing, but hopefully it will all pick up. I have to keep telling myself, Vegetable WANT to grow in the ground so they will be fine.
pollen jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like everything is going to be fine for you now allotment man, happy days all around, but the hard work also begins. just holding out for my pea's, got new variety, JUMBO, never try them before. CANOE, ONWARDS and KELVOND or something like that before. Man my polytunnel is be blown around today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: