Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn feed 16.16.16

Most Recent Posts Mr Mdidleton open day
Last post: Greengage
Grow lights
Last post: Blowin
Preparation for new site
Last post: tagwex
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Brendankearns
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Lawn feed 16.16.16 Reply with quote

I have an old bag of 16.16.16 fertisler and was wondering if that is to strong for a spring feed? I used it originally when sowing my lawn and it worked well.

Thanks
Brendan
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally use 7-6-17, the 16:16:16 would be very strong for a new lawn
These numbers relate to the % of Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium in the bag.
Nitrogen: Encourages plants to produce dark green leaves. This is the chief staple in the diet of most plants. Yellowing leaves means the plant isn't getting enough nitrogen from sources in the soil, too much promotes soft spindly grass, Nitrogen can leach quickly from the soil requiring frequent reapplication. Nitrogen applied in the nitrate form is usually inorganic, fast acting, but can leach quickly into surface and ground water. Nitrogen applied as ammonium is from organic sources and is released more slowly and lasts longer in the soil.
Phosphorous: Stimulates root growth. All plants need it to get their root foundation off to a healthy and vigorous start so they can support all the growth on top, but root crops and bulbs especially need phosphorous to do well. Phosphorous and potassium don't move readily through the soil and should be applied near plant roots to do the most good.
Potassium: Is important to the continuing health of all plants,Potassium is also known as potash or water soluble potash. Potassium and phosphorous don't move readily through the soil and should be applied near plant roots to do the most good. If your lawn is doing poorly I would use 16:16:16 otherwise i would use something with less nitrogen, remember the more it grows the more often it needs to be cut.
Brendankearns

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you Greengage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: