Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Potatoes are sowed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
allotment man
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Potatoes are sowed Reply with quote

So I threw caution to the wind and sowed all my potatoes with good high drills. 1 drill of early home guards well chitted and three drills of latest. Golden wonders, records and roosters. They weren't chitted so well, but feck it. It's to freeze tonight but the rain at the weekend should see off the last of the frost. Anyways I hope it works out. It's done now anyways.
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair play...id say they,ll be fine. ive placed my main crop spuds under lights to get them chitted..they,ve been in the greenhouse for about 3 weeks with no sign of growth...im not sure if using artificial lights to chit spuds is a good idea...but sure we,ll find out soon enough.
mustaffatap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Potatoes are sowed Reply with quote

allotment man wrote:
So I threw caution to the wind and sowed all my potatoes with good high drills. 1 drill of early home guards well chitted and three drills of latest. Golden wonders, records and roosters. They weren't chitted so well, but feck it. It's to freeze tonight but the rain at the weekend should see off the last of the frost. Anyways I hope it works out. It's done now anyways.

I put 24 Orla seed potatoes that had nice green eyes about 1" long into a "no dig" raised bed today. Planted them about 4" down in neat last years pig muck and straw and back filled with some old dry poly-tunnel compost. I gave them a sprinkle of sheep muck tea and covered them with straw and then recovered the bed with silage wrap for a few days until hopefully the temperature will start to climb. If the ice age continues I'll be putting the rest inside in bags.
I might try and devise a system of cloches for the raised beds as I'm convinced all this dry weather can only be followed by a double monsoon season.
Good luck to all growers this year, I think we'll need it Wink
apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are things...i put down spuds into raised beds...i am only starting out so i just used compost..the spuds are flying up...the stalks themselves in parts are about 6-7 inches off the top of the beds...just wondering now as they are thriving and all i have uses is compost is there anything i can put onto them to help them continue as they are..really want them to turn out good...cheers
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like others have said, you need to earth them up with your compost, and water regularly. Fish blood and bone, proprietary potato fertiliser, seaweed liquid feed, or nettle/comfrey brew will all help. If you've filled your beds right up, and it's hard to earth up, don't worry. You'll get fewer spuds, and smaller, but spuds are an excellent crop for developing your new beds into a proper soil, and stopping weeds. WARNING. At the first sign of blight, cut of all the haulms (the green parts above ground) and get rid of them - burn or bin, don't compost them. If you get it, and don't act immediately, you'll have trouble growing spuds, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines etc for many years.
pollen jim
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not too sure about all that feeding, maybe the ocasional feed, or you might just get all above the ground, and very little spuds, might be wrong, but anything i read or seen suggest this Shocked
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about all that regular watering either. "Little and often... NOT" is my approach. If there's rain then don't water. If the soil is getting dry then thoroughly saturate the soil. Get that water down deep. If the water goes deep the roots will follow it.
Light watering keeps the roots near the surface.

I wouldn't worry too much about blight either. Keep some blight mix on the shelf but don't think about blight 'til you hear a blight warning. Too many gardeners are put off growing potatoes by blight paranoia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: