Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Growing the Saskatoon Berry in Ireland

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Tom Burke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Growing the Saskatoon Berry in Ireland Reply with quote

Common Names for this Tree are > Downy Serviceberry, Shadblow, Juneberry, Sarvis Tree, Saskatoon Berry,
Amelanchier arborea-There is many names for this tree and many different kinds of this tree in shapes and sizes and blooms and is native to North America
I have just recently moved back to Ireland from Canada while living in Canada's Yukon Territory I had a good deal of success growing the Saskatoon Berry in particular the Thiessen, Smokey and Northline cultivars. My question is are any of these cultivars available in Ireland and if so where would I find them. Otherwise what are the restrictions re importing them from Canada
Thanks
PS Below is some more info.
Amelanchier alnifolia
General: Rose Family (Rosaceae). Native shrubs or small trees growing to 7 meters high, variable in growth form, forming thickets, mats, or clumps, the underground portions including a massive root crown, horizontal and vertical rhizomes, and an extensive root system; bark: thin, light brown and tinged with red, smooth or shallowly fissured. Leaves are deciduous, simple, alternate, ovate to nearly round, 2.5-3 cm long, with lateral, parallel veins in 8-13 pairs, the margins coarsely serrate or dentate to below middle or sometimes entire or with only a few small teeth at the top. Flowers are in short, dense, 5-15-flowered, upright racemes, the petals white, 1-2 cm long and strap-like, sepals more or less long-hairy on the inside, reflexing in age, stamens about 20, styles 5, ovary persistently tomentose at the top. Fruit are 6-11 mm long, smooth, purple-black, slightly gray-blue waxy, the pulp fleshy and sweet; seeds 4-10. The common name refers to the city in Saskatchewan, Canada, in the heart of the species' range.
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Welcome home! And welcome to Irish Gardeners. I'm a relative novice myself so I don't know the answers to all yours queries, but as far as I know this plant is known as Juneberry over here, this might help with further enquiries. If you do a search for Juneberry on this site I think you'll get some hits I seem to remember CPI mentioning it in a post. Hopefull someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to provide more info.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Juneberry in Ireland? Reply with quote

Hello Tom. Well I can tell you that a form of juneberry grows well here in Ireland on neutral or acid soils (no lime). It is Amelanchier lamarckii also known as the snowy mespilus or juneberry. It has white flowers in March and April and green leaves that turn orange and red in autumn. Dark purple berries sometimes appear in summer
Here is a pic

rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom Burke,

I looking for the same edible Juneberry/Saskatoon (A. Alnifolia)
Can anyone help me with an irish supplier.
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have managed to locate the Saskatoon berry (Amelanchier Alnifolia variation Oblelisk ) Future forests were out of stock so I have ordered it from Jacksons Nursery in the UK.
Hopefully the plant/shrub will give me a good berry harvest for eating they are supposed to tastier than a Blueberry.
Belfast

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rathfuadagh wrote:
Hi Tom Burke,

I looking for the same edible Juneberry/Saskatoon (A. Alnifolia)
Can anyone help me with an irish supplier.

Mespilus, Juneberry, Shadbush
Amelanchier lamarckii 'Ballerina'
Mespilus, Juneberry, Shadbush
A very easy small tree or multi-stemmed shrub which has masses of extremely pretty small white flowers in early summer, followed by dark purple berries in late summer - delicious for humans and birds, and loved by children - they taste something between a blueberry and an ugni berry. Plant in well-drained soil in full sun or light shade - a tough and resilient plant. Ideal for the small garden, and best if planted with bulbs, ferns or other natural groundcovers. Great autumn colour, when the leaves turn bright red. Half-standard size in a 10L container.

http://www.dyg.ie/item/mespilus-juneberry
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Juneberry Reply with quote

Thanks Belfast,

Have you eaten the berries.
tig

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have planted Amelanchier lamarckii in Wicklow over the last few years and have found the berries to be very tasty.... if I can get to them before my children! In my opinion, I wouldn't say that they are as tasty as blueberries, nor as ugni friot, which have to take the biscuit as far as small tasty berries go. But these Amelanchiers are easy and elegant, with cheery white flowers in spring, interesting leaves which then turn a great shade in the autumn and an elegant habit. The variety 'Ballerina' has emerging bronze leaves and an abundance of flowers. I haven't seen the variety you are looking for in Ireland. A. lamarckii are available from good nurseries bare-root during the dormant season.
Belfast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Juneberry Reply with quote

rathfuadagh wrote:
Thanks Belfast,

Have you eaten the berries.

Not yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: