Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

What next with my new organic plit

Most Recent Posts How to store seeds??
Last post: avs0020
Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: tagwex
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
endaman
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: What next with my new organic plit Reply with quote

Hello,

I posted this last year.
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about6291.html

In summary, I am converting agricultural land into an organic garden. About 7 m x 17 m. I followed through on all the fine help I received from that post. Right now here is what I have.

I have a big heap of stacked top scraw all piled up to about 4 feet high and covered with black polythene. It has decomposed quite well. I did not cover the area I took this off but it looks pretty much grass and weed free. I took 4 inches top soil off over the whole area.

My question now is what to do next. My guess is, when this current frost clears I will spread this heap of composted top spoil out and use it to make potato ridges. I still intend going organic, my plan this year is to grow, spuds, cabbage, onions and maybe carrots.

Any ideas for me?
Thanks.
-EM
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like hard work there did you ever look at this site for more info on organic cetification
http://www.organicguide.ie/organic_certification
endaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I will look for certification in time but for now I want to find out how to grow organically for myself.

For potatoes I plan using the clay I composted to put into ridges. then cabbage onions and carrots into rows. I have a lot of well rotted farm yard manure I will probably mix beneath the clay. Something like that I think.

I hope this frost will clear the poor little lambs are finding it very cold at night.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question if you have FYM well rotted if it is not you own how do you know it is not full of antiboitics from animal waste, you also have to be careful of introducing weeds from the FYM like oats or horsetail, can you be sure it is not contaminated by weedkiller used on farms to control weeds, the RHS had an article once on this illl have a look for you.
Ah here it is,
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=477
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. General soil management basically involves adding LOTS of organic matter, in conjunction with disturbing the soil layers MINIMALLY. That doesn't mean that you never dig, or disturb the soil, just do so as little as possible. If there is compaction, or very thin poor soil, do it once (double digging) and do it properly, even though it is very hard work. Mimic a woodland, where organic matter is continually replenished from the top. This will mean better soil health, and fewer weeds seeds being brought to the surface.

At this time of year, I'd be gathering lots and lots of fresh nettle tops and steeping them in water, to make nettle "tea", as that's your liquid feed for the summer. If you have fym, you could also make liquid manure the same way.

I have heard that crushed horestail, treated the same way, makes an effective fungicide, but I've never tried it. Maybe others have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: