Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Cow-Pots

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Cow-Pots Reply with quote

Want to buy some cow-pots (made from cow dung) from an advertiser on Irish Gardeners. Want to try them for growing on tomatoes prior to planting. I went on to the site and they give them great praise Rolling Eyes the problem I have is that when you try the reviews sent in, all you get are scrambled jumbles, there mostly 3 and 2 star from 5, Has anyone tried them and with what results? Thanks.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now there is a memory, we used to collect cow pats from the fields around home, put them in a bucket and make a sloppy paste by adding water, we then soaked cabbages in them for a couple of hours before planting into garden, As for buying them you must be joking there one fool born every minute.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cow-Pots Reply with quote

tunnelsofhens10 wrote:
cow-pots

Greengage wrote:
cow pats

Who is the
Greengage wrote:
fool
?Rolling Eyes

To answer the OP, I've never bought or used cow-pots but a few years ago I used a not dissimilar product, a pot made out of peat. The idea was that the roots would penetrate the peat pot after transplanting and potting on (or is it potting up?), and that the peat pot would disintegrate over time. However, the pots never did disintegrate. Years later and I could still see the rim of the pot around the stems of herbs.

That was my peat pot experience, the same could happen with the cow pots.

As for the other post, mixing cow pats with water is often referred to dung tea. As a practice it's as common as muck. Very Happy
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the peat pots MP, As for Mr greengage, I do know about cowpats, but I don"t think a bucket of fresh liquid is going to impress my tender young tomatoe plants atall atall. (Iwon"t have time to let it Stew!) I might just try them and support a little Irish Company at the same time. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: